Terralux..........how frustrating

edison

Enlightened
Well, I was excited to receive my terralux TLE-5 kit for my minimag in the mail yesterday. I was disappointed upon inspection by a great big scratch on the reflector stretching all the way from the emitter hole in the bottom to the outer edge at the top. I was again excited when I installed the parts and gave it a try. Not a perfect beam, but definitely an improvement. Especially in terms of output and color. So what should I do? If I contact terralux directly will they send me a new reflector? Or should I bother the online retailer that I bought it from? I'd rather deal with terralux, but do I have this option?

jbfla

Newly Enlightened
When I installed the Terralux for my mini mag, it flashed on for a second, then went dead. I emailed them and they sent me a new one that worked fine.

On a side note...I don't "get" this whole "drop in" thing. Buy a mini mag $8-$10. Buy a drop in for $20-30 or more. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/jpshakehead.gif

A Gerber Trio or SL Lux JR are better lights for less money...

JB

mapson

Enlightened
jbfla, the point of the "drop in" thing is many already own a mini-mag or regular mag, so instead of leaving it sitting sad in a corner, we try to find a affordable way to make use of them. Surely, I hope one would not consider buying a NEW Maglite just to put a drop-in in.

jbfla

Newly Enlightened
darn! .... you mean I wasn't supposed to buy that minimag? But I really like all those pretty colors... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/crackup.gif

Back to the Terralux. It actually makes the mini a decent light...but at a price.

The color of my Terralux beam was white, but you're right Edison, the beam leaves something to be desired...dark spots (artifacts) in the hotspot. No matter how you adjust the beam, it's not great.

Luxeonstar(Terralux)was easy to deal with. They sent me a replacement the day after I sent them the email, and also paid to have the defective one returned. I did purchase it directly, not through a reseller. Can't hurt to ask...

JB

evanlocc

Enlightened
[ QUOTE ]
jbfla said:
When I installed the Terralux for my mini mag, it flashed on for a second, then went dead. I emailed them and they sent me a new one that worked fine.

On a side note...I don't "get" this whole "drop in" thing. Buy a mini mag $8-$10. Buy a drop in for $20-30 or more. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/jpshakehead.gif

A Gerber Trio or SL Lux JR are better lights for less money...

JB

[/ QUOTE ]

Ya, JB are right! A Trio or JR are much better.