Brightness and Beam Length?

lk99bt

Newly Enlightened
Can anyone tell me if the new "CPF LionHeart" will be much brighter and/or the light beam longer than say--an Arc4 (which seems great to me) and the L4? I've read some reviews but am a bit confused due to differing terms (some use MCD's, others Lux or Lumens).

Is it innaccurate to think that smaller lights are usually measured more with MCD's and larger ones with Lumens or Lux? Thanks.

SilverFox

Flashaholic
Hello Lk99bt,

Lumens measure the light that the light source produces. It is measured in an expensive ($30,000) integrating sphere. Doug's (Quickbeam) total output values in his output vs throw charts in the reviews section, come close to lumen values in most cases.

Candlea (or milicandela) and foot candles measure the light intensity falling on a sensor 1 foot away. The more focused the light, the higher the value. The square root of this value will tell you the distance (in feet) that the beam will throw down to 1 foot candle.

Lux is the metric version of foot candles. It is the light intensity falling on a sensor 1 meter away. The more focused the light, the higher the value. The square root of this value will tell you the distance (in meters) that the beam will throw down to 1 lux.

1 foot candle = 10.764 lux
1 lux = 0.0929 foot candles

You can convert between fc, mcd, and lux, but not lumens. There are some theoretical lumen conversions, but I am not sure how well they work.

To compare a lights throw, the highest fc, mcd, or lux value wins.

Hope this helps.

Tom

Roy

Farewell our Curmudgeon Administrator
If the Fc is measured at one foot and the LUX is measured at one meter, then 1Fc@1Ft = 1LUX@1M that is to say, if a light is measuered at 13Fc at 1 foot then you will also have 13LUX measured at one meter for the same light.