New to light

LiteBuLB

Newly Enlightened
hello guys, i am new to the world of flash lights. however, i am interested in getting 1. i heard alot about surefire and so, i would like to gather info from users here.

i would want a torch with the ability to BLIND, say a robber long enough that i could kick him in his @@@ and get away from him. battery life is not a factor for me. i have read alot regarding the E2E model. i love the form factor of it as it is not too big of a size. but has it got the power to fulfill the blinding features? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused.gif

Cornkid

Flashlight Enthusiast
What you need to know is that to 'blind' someone you need to be an a dark area with a light of about 60 lumens.

If you were outside, at night, with an e2e... yes you would probably temporarily blind him. I would not run up to him though. It is NOT an attack weapon. You'll get yourself killed.

-tom

MrBenchmark

Enlightened
The E2D is designed to be used as a last-ditch weapon, in addition to momentarily dazzling an attacker. Pepper-spray is probably something else you should consider. I'm no expert, but I think a flashlight can at best give you only a momentary advantage. Still, a moment to start running or pull out some other method of self defense could be a life-saver sometimes. FWIW, I'm trying to work out what to do here myself. I'm not really counting on my flashlight to be my first line of defense, though.

kessler

Newly Enlightened
Me too!
As in, this it exactly the thread I would like to have started.

My wife and I just moved to the burbs (sort of) from NYC and she takes the train to work everyday. I pick her up at night by walking 5 minutes through a park, but there are no lamp posts. People in our complex say they wouldn't walk through the park at night, but I have yet to see anyone or anything I would even consider the least bit dangerous.

So, my point is I would like a light that would produce a beam so bright as to make any would be attacker think twice. Then, if that doesn't do it, blinding them with the beam b4 I mace them would be nice.

I would prefer to spend less them $50, but definately less then $100, and ideally rechargeable would be nice. From reading through some of the forum posts and flashlightreviews.com the streamlight stinger sounds like a good bet, but more then I was hoping to pay. Also, I saw the Stinger Ultra at amazon.com, but I didn't see it here or at flashlightreviews.com, so I wasn't sure it is of the same high quality (and it doesn't look as nice).

So, any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

cheers!

GarageBoy

Flashlight Enthusiast
Streamlight is fine. Surefire E2D gets my vots, but might land you in legal trouble. (since it's a "weapon" ::rolleyes)

AuroraLite

Enlightened
Hi, all.

I myself sometimes EDC E2D as an self defense tool(as an alternative to knife or firearms which is prohibited to be carried here) Honestly, I would say your best first line of defense should always be what between your ears--why going down an unknown pitch-dark alley when you know someone might be waiting for you...in short, the common sense.

And as Garageboy has said, depending on the law and interpretation of it, E2D could very well be considered a 'pointed' weapon.

Here are some of my pros and cons about E2D:

Pros:
-if intended to be used as self defense weapon--it is a good alternative to knife/gun, a little less obtrusive
-if used with good timing, bright light could very temporarily blind someone who's eyes are dark adapted
-decent bright light for flashlight purpose
-the bright light might attract attention and dissuade some much less commited criminal
-could be used as a 'kubotan' alternative(kubotan could be a banned weapon depending on your domestic law)

Cons:
-might be considered a 'pointed' weapon
-require good amount of training to be used effectively; remember a criminal might use his/her weapon for a 'living' and using flashlight to fight/disarm someone will certainly require training.(I was taught that one can only 'survive' a knife fight, you never 'win' or 'own' it; never let the ego gets in the way)
-sharp bezel could get caught in clothing when striking
-if fallen in the wrong hands during a conflict, it could hurt you as well
-blinding effect could only really work well on dark-adapted eyes. If you are disoriented in the dark or in conflict, you might not know where to point it to 'blind' someone
-the 'blinding' effect or pain compliance(pressure point or joint locks when employing the flashlight as kubotan) might not completely work with someone who is mentally 'unstable' or under drug/alcohol influence

So depending how comfortable you are with the decision that you might take(and some of the cons above), for consideration--just any other sturdy/well built/bright flashlight could also be used as well. Usually, when I go to the airport, I just checkin my E2d(if I decide to take it) and EDC the PM6 or Minimag mod with Terralux as alternative.

Good luck with the new light! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

kessler

Newly Enlightened
Wow, I didn't realize a flashlight could actually be used as a weapon. Except for just bashing someone with a 4D or something. I think I will do whatever I can to avoid hand-to-hand combat. Mace seems like the easier alternative, but even that Iwould prefer not to use. What concerns me is that if you really **** someone off with mace they might come back to get you another day. Like you said, a bright light might keep them from attacking in the first place ( ... unless they be a rabid flashaholic /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/ooo.gif ) Also, I think they say the best deterant is to look them in the face so they know you saw them and can identify them.

If I can temporarily blind them, I could probably get away. I'm freakishly fast for about 10 meters/yards. At first glance this might not seem like a big advantage, but you have to consider that my wife is not freakishly fast /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/rolleye11.gif

As for going down dark alleys, I hate to feel afraid in my own backyard. Also, the more people who use the dark alley for good purposes the greater the good outnumber the bad.

-cheers

shifty646

Newly Enlightened
If you want a good bright and small rechargable EDC, then consider a Streamlight Strion. Brighter than the E2, and smaller. Uses Li-Ion battery, so no problems (like the Stinger) and throws pretty damn far if focused tight.

Downside: finish is smoother than some like (can slip out easier), no belt clip (so you need a holster), and it can't really be used as a strike weapon as effectively as the E2D.

Personally, I've used it to hurt my friends eyes at night in city light from across the street pretty effectively.
Too bad I didn't have it (or any other flashlight) when I actually could have used it for self defence (luckily, I managed to get away unhurt), but I'm prepared now.

MJWood

Newly Enlightened
As AuroraLite has pointed out, *please* don't assume that just because you have a tool / weapon like an E2D, you can overcome an opponant. More than likely, the trained attacker will simply take away your E2D and hit you over the head with it. No joke. Anyone highly trained with hand to hand combat has a *much* higher chance of hurting you with your own weapon.

If really caught in a bad situation, shining a light on the attacker give you a second or so advantage in running / using mace, etc... But if you are at all unsure, take some self defense clases. They are good exercise and it never hurts to learn something new. Most good self defense classes will also teach you that fighting is a LAST RESORT ONLY. Avoiding the conflict is a far better solution.

Carry a light, but be safe out there!

MrBenchmark

Enlightened
[ QUOTE ]
MJWood said:
As AuroraLite has pointed out, *please* don't assume that just because you have a tool / weapon like an E2D, you can overcome an opponant. More than likely, the trained attacker will simply take away your E2D and hit you over the head with it. No joke. Anyone highly trained with hand to hand combat has a *much* higher chance of hurting you with your own weapon.

[/ QUOTE ]

I hear this a lot, but I'm really skeptical. If you run into a *highly trained* attacker, you are pretty much screwed unless:
1. You are also highly trained
2. You are experienced with, and are carrying, a firearm
I submit, however, that the most probable violent encounter with a badguy for most of us is someone who is:
- big
- not too bright, possibly under the influence of drugs or alcohol or both
- real violent
They may be practiced at violence, unfortunately, but they are probably not highly trained. (Anyone who's a professional, please feel free to correct me if my assumptions are wrong!)

I do agree with you that it's important that whatever method of self-defense you choose, you are practiced and experienced at it. Having a weapon you don't know how to use effectively doesn't seem like a good safety measure. Attempting to injure your attacker but FAILING to do so is liable to make him escalate the amount of violence he uses in response, I'd guess.

I'm sure people disarm one another during fights - but I bet that's not the most common outcome. (Again, someone who knows correct me if I'm wrong - I'm legitimately interested in this.)

LiteBuLB

Newly Enlightened
yes, i agree that 1 shoud not attempt to "blind, hit, run" as it might be a dangerous act. but just thought that after blinding, hitting it with the e2e would buy me more time to run. another situation that i might use it is when i am being followed while driving. these this does happens. so in this event, at least i could ask the passenger to wind down the window and shine on the car that is following me.

how bright is 60 lumens? does it make a diff compared to a 120 lumes torch? i am eyeing on the e2e bcoz of its pocketability n didnt want something huge.

kessler

Newly Enlightened
I definately think for my purposes the best thing about a really bright flashlight is just that a criminal will be less likely ot attack where there is a bright light. This is probably especially true with the crinals that a looking to attack someone at night in the first place. It's like the club and other car theft devices, why break into a car with a club when the one next to it doesn't have one.

hmmm, I don't know about the whole shining a light at a car thing. It smells like a lawsuit to me. if something happens. Could you prove they were following you?

Cornkid

Flashlight Enthusiast
60 lumens is very bright. If you were to get either the g2 or the 6p and purchase a p61 ( about $25 with 120 lumens!) you could get more power.

60 lumens will be good enough to disorient someone attacking you in the DARK.

-tom

LiteBuLB

Newly Enlightened
anywhere that i could actually see a comparison photo of a 60 lumens and a 120 lumens light?

davidra

Enlightened
Sorry, but I can't think of anyone who means to hurt you being intimidated by an E2D, or injured significantly. If you want something bright and cheap (around 200 lumens or more), do a 2C Mag 3X123 setup. The 2c is a nice size for carrying (although certainly bigger than a E2D), and I think it could cause more damage than an E2D if you clocked somebody with it. And it'll cost you about $20 and takes 5 minutes to make.

Former_Mag_User

Enlightened
[ QUOTE ]
davidra said:
do a 2C Mag 3X123 setup. The 2c is a nice size for carrying (although certainly bigger than a E2D), and I think it could cause more damage than an E2D if you clocked somebody with it. And it'll cost you about $20 and takes 5 minutes to make.

[/ QUOTE ]

How is that done?