Feedback on Smith & Wesson Galaxy LED flashlight

Flashlike

Enlightened
I would like any opinions from anyone who has purchased a Smith & Wesson Galaxy LED flashlight.
Such as--overall quality of construction, value for price of flashlight, light output (in comparison to other 3-LED flashlights of similar size), etc.
It has not yet been reviewed at The LED Museum. There aren't too many places that I can find where you can order them on the Internet. One I found is BotachTactical.com .
Thanks to any response!

Flashlike

Enlightened
That would be great! I can't wait for your review!!
It sounds really good from the description on the package, but you know that sometimes those are just a sales pitch to get you buy it. I hope that's not the case with this one.

The_LED_Museum

*Retired*
I just took a current reading, and at full blast, it sucks down only 48mA. Meaning, its LEDs are underdriven. Good, because they'll outlast the flashlight and probably the user, but bad because it's not very bright. It's slightly brigther than an Arc-LE, but has a smoother, wider beam.

The light can be set to "on", "blink", and "off". The switch is digitally manipulated, and produces a light audible click along with a a tactile response. Press once for full on, press again for a 3.5Hz to 4.0Hz blink, and press again for off. The switch rubber is tiny, and is countersunk into a recess in the barrrel. I tried to remove the rubber with a fingernail with a sense of purpose but was unsuccessful. A more concerted effort would probably succeed. So it might actually stay on better than the switch rubbers in some of the LED-LENSER products. No spare rubber was found in the tailpiece.

The finish is a very thin black paint, which can be removed with moderate effort using a key. Probably a baked enamel of some form, rather than just ordinary paint. If regular paint were that thin, you could probably get it off with a fingernail. There is no knurling or texture of any sort; and the finish is very smooth and slippery. A fold-out ring is present on the tailpiece.

The LEDs are inset in individual cells in a small reflector and protected by a plastic window. The head does not come off, so if the window becomes fogged or ruined, you'll probably have to gouge it out with a knife and go without.

There's a thin O ring on the tail, but the light failed a mild suction test. You can use it as a straw in an emergency.

Pictures as time permits.

Flashlike

Enlightened
Thanks for the upfront review.
I guess if one were wanting the **brightest** 3-LED flashlight this one wouldn't be the pick. All things considered though, it sounds like a decent flashlight.
I'm surprised they didn't design some sort of "trigger" style switch on it, since it's a Smith & Wesson. Ha!

The_LED_Museum

*Retired*
www.ledmuseum.org/galaxy.htm
Not an awful, horrible light, and useful for sneaking around the house past your bedtime. But not for rugged, heavy-duty use in hurricanes.
smile.gif

MarcV

Enlightened
Maybe this is the light the other thread was looking for, a paramedic/medical inspection torch. The blinking feature could entertain juvenile patients.

Come to think of it, that's the only thing positive I've ever thought of about a blinking flashlight. I suspect manufacturers add that blinking just because they are able, not because anybody would actually ever use it.

webley445

Flashlight Enthusiast
The blinking aspect is used to get the "ever prepared" crowd to buy. "If ever" you're trapped on a mountain side or need to signal a chopper while lost in the woods, there you go. but probably more geared towards being used as aflasher to warn oncoming traffic to slow due to hazard ahead.

as for putting a trigger swith on the S&W, it probably wasn't cost effective to do so since they would also have to supply a trigger lock and then sign an agreement to keep track of everyone who buys one, thus trying to force other LED manufacturers to do the same. (I'm sure some of you will not get the joke:^)