Gundam

Newly Enlightened
these are made up of LEDs
shocked.gif

eled2.sized.jpg

eled.jpg

MarcV

Enlightened
I've not seen them in the Illinois stores. They are not on the website either. j I wonder how they cool those things. It looks like a huge heatsink along the underside of that one in the picture.

MarcV

Enlightened
We've got a lot of TFT screens here but they're all backlighted with fluorescents.

Google only finds 1500Watt LED display modules. There is a comment about a Sony 13" screen here.

Joshua

Newly Enlightened
On a story that ran on CNN the other day they had OLEDs that were as thin as a sheet of clear plastic,(like paper thin folks) and displayed better resalution then LCD OR dot matrix displays. They are still in prtotype form. But some of the aplication ideas were newspapers that could play videio and audio clips. Yep folks, 5 years from now when these new form of OLEDs take off, we are gonna see some cool *** sh_t! : )

luxO

Newly Enlightened
Originally posted by star882:
These are commonly called TFT(thin film transistor) screens.
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">TFTs are LCD screens, not LED.

Graham

Flashlight Enthusiast
I seen them at circuit city.
15"-19" is common.
They are around $700.
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">I'd say you're thinking of LCD (Liquid Crystal Display) monitors, which have nothing to do with LEDs..

Graham

hotfoot

Flashlight Enthusiast
Not a big deal, you can buy LED monitors and TVs at the store right now.
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">I think some of you may have misread the original post, thinking that these are LCD monitors. These are *OLED*, not LCD/TFT monitors and are only just coming to market.

One look at how thin they are, and the fact that they can be viewed from such extreme angles (as seen in the photos) gives away the fact that these are not your ordinary monitors.

LCD monitors require backlighting. OLED monitors actually *emit* light, omitting the need for a separate backlight. That's why they're way thinner.

Graham

Flashlight Enthusiast
Yeah, I remember seeing something on a news program here in Japan a while back about these - the one they showed was just the bare screen with no frame, and just looked like a clear sheet of plastic with a picture being displayed on it (in it?)
Pretty cool. Can't wait to see if they can mass produce these properly. And if they can avoid all the quality problems LCDs have, may be heaps cheaper..

Graham

hotfoot

Flashlight Enthusiast
These things look incredibly promising. There are also some monochrome prototypes in existence that are as flat and as flexible as a 1mm (or thinner?) sheet of plastic. One video showed someone flexing and twisting this amazing sheet OLED screen as it was actually screening some video content! Apparently one use for these things is roll-up screens, or electronic newspapers.

And Graham, that signature line of yours just makes me smile every time I see it
grin.gif

Graham

Flashlight Enthusiast
I just hope these can be produced in larger sizes too. Imagine - a big screen TV that you can just stick to the wall. Even easier than those so-called 'thin' plasma displays.

Graham

Saaby

Flashaholic
Oh great, that's all we need...electronics boxes (Logitec Oprical mouse comes to mind) with little screens on them and little speakers on the box trying to sell themselves.

Imagine that on a Resume'

Stared on "Logitec Optical Hour" which was shown on mouse boxes...

Gundam

Newly Enlightened
i guess those thin screens shown in minority report might be reality.... soon

Darell

Flashaholic
If somebody finds an OLED monitor at Circuit City, please buy me a couple!
smile.gif

I know that the big mfg's area scrambling to make big-screens out of these. This stuff will be fantastic from the tiny camcorder viewfinder to giant wall-sized monitors. Less power, less weight, less heat.... and in theory - less cost than the technologies that have come before. Can't wait!

Bernhard

Newly Enlightened
Yes, that was OLED prototype by Sony. They are the first manufacturer that can do full color OLED that big (around 13") with high brighness and high contrast ratio. They said that standard OLED is not bright enough to be made as normal monitor/TV display. It only suitable for small appliances with less brightness requirement, such as mobile phone display. To achive this brightness is engineering feat. As far as I can remember, they cram more pixel (more LED count) per color, about 4 per color, without making the pixel size any larger. Compare this with only max 2 LED per color done by other manufacturer.

I wonder, is it the same as LEP (Light Emitting Polymer) technology?
I heard that they can just use "spray on" manufacturing technique to make this display, kind of using very precise big inkjet to laid the polymer onto plastic surface. These plastic surface contain grid of very thin anoda/cathode wire to light on/off the polymer.
Than we will get cheap, thin, high res roll up display
smile.gif
Hope this technology take off soon...

LED-FX

Enlightened
Sony were biggest with 13" then Samsung made it 15" and now Toshiba has 17" at a cost of $2million.

One of the innovators with LEP is Cambridge Display Technologies:

http://www.cdtltd.co.uk/

Website appears a bit ill at moment but its an exciting field.Yup, rollup batteries would be well handy :)

Adam