Light suggestions - Afghanistan

DaveT

Enlightened
Hi - a colleague is leaving to take a job as a reporter in Afghanistan. This is a 3-month gig that may stretch to 6 months. She'll be based in Kabul and, to the best of my knowledge, be staying there exclusively, no major plans for travel to the boonies. So, she's not camping, not going tactical - she'll be living in a city, however spartan that city may be.
This is a non-flashaholic, so I'm trying to keep number and complexity of lights to a minimum. I'm considering AA power source to be a major consideration, and if possible exclusively LED (likelihood of her carrying spare bulbs almost nil). Small and simple are a plus. Also, she's not interested in the light for the light's sake - high-dollar or complex/highly modded lights probably need not apply.
Here's what I've got in mind to suggest to her - if you can think of a necessity I'm missing or have what you consider a better suggestion for the role, please chime in.

So, here's what I'm thinking:
1. CMG/Gerber Infinity Ultra for neck lanyard EDC
2. Gerber LX3.0 as long-throw/limited usage, can carry in a coat pocket
3. A pair (or trio)of Energizer 2-LED folding lanterns as blackout/small area lights for wherever she's staying.

So, am I missing anything?
Thanks for your input.
Dave

X33

Enlightened
I think the Infinity Ultra is a good idea. Maybe the Inova X5? But then there is the 123 battery availability problem. I guess she doesnt want to carry 3 month worth of spares. can't comment on the other light you mentioned.

raggie33

*the raggedier*
how about streamlight poly 4 aa led?.but i like ya cmg option.and the gerberlx option. imnoit sure about the energizer folders i found em fragikle

Lmtfi

Newly Enlightened
Perhaps a small details - but I would advise against putting a small light (or anything else for that matter) on a neck lanyard in Afganistan. Having a cord around your neck is a safety concern - with several possibilities for a bad outcome. I'd recommend a lanyard tied off to clothing instead.

BTW I thing the CMG Infinity Ultra is a good choice for the region.

StuU

Enlightened
Maybe something with a medium-powered red led.....like a Palight or Infinity standard or Inova Microlight. Might be nice in certain situations to be able to move around at night without attracting attention......?

I have the above lights. The Inova Microlight is pretty nice. It small, handy, well made, and fits easily on a camera strap or keychain. An added plus is that the red led is shielded so that it is not visible from the sides- only in front. The red leds get many run-hours in this type of light ie Photon lists 120 hours for a battery run w red led.

turbodog

Flashaholic
[ QUOTE ]
raggie33 said:
how about streamlight poly 4 aa led?.but i like ya cmg option.and the gerberlx option. imnoit sure about the energizer folders i found em fragikle

[/ QUOTE ]

new avatar looks nice

turbodog

Flashaholic
eternalight - can stand on end, will not roll off a table, has a "find me" night beacon, loooong runtime, lanyard loop, elitemax model is almost as bright as a luxeon, waterproof, 1 set lithium aa cells could VERY likely last the entire trip, sandproof

uk 4aa eled - 11+ hour runtime on constant longer when used a little at a time, waterproof, cheap, only 1 brightness level though, sandproof

minimag with opalec nebeam - cheap, reasonable waterproof, easy to operate, tough, replace battery indicator, easy to replace batteries, lanyard loop, sorta sandproof

infinity ultra - nice small light but you run the very good risk of being too dim, sorta sandproof

Ah yes.... she's only gonna need 1 light, not all of these!

greenLED

Flashaholic
Dave,
I like your Gerber choices. Have you seen the Gerber Trio? It's like an oversized Infinity, with 3 LEDs, and taking 2AA. I don't like the folding lanterns, but that's just me.

MrBenchmark

Enlightened
Will she be needing to carry spare batteries anyway? I have no idea how available AA's are in Afghanistan. If she needs to carry spares, then a lithium powered light and a box full of 123a's might actually be kinda practical, because they are powerful, light, and resistant to cold. Like I said, this only makes sense if she's likely to have trouble getting AA's there anyway.

Oh, light suggestion - what about an inova 24/7, as an emergency light, to help somebody find her in the dark? If there's a place where you might need to signal for help, I'd think Afghanistan was it.

83Venture

Enlightened
I agree with the eternalight and ultra recommendations, these were two of the lights I sent with a buddy when he deployed to Afghanistan over six months ago. Still going fine.

SilverFox

Flashaholic
Hello Dave,

Lots of good choices here...

I would suggest the Peak AA High Power 5 LED with snow LED's. Put a lithium AA in it and it would probably last her the whole trip.

Tom

AuroraLite

Enlightened
Hi, DaveT.

I too would agree Gerber/CMG infinity Ultra is a good choice for EDC for it's long runtime.

LX 3.0 is bright and white, but it is a little on the heavier side to lug around; Trio might be a good alternative and personally, I would also suggest the MiniMag with Terralux Ministar2. Though it is probably not nearly as bright as the other sandwiches, it has a decent compromise between runtime and brightness.

Lastly, instead of 3 pairs of Enegizer's lantern, I would suggest 'Lightwave 3000' or the like for its really, really long runtime.

Good luck!

BlindedByTheLite

Flashlight Enthusiast
how about a headlamp too? get her a Princeton Tec EOS (AAA batteries) for $35 or, if you'd like to base her lighting arsenal on AA batteries, how about a Princeton Tec Corona (AA batteries) for $45? i'm sure a reporter who'll be working with AV equipment and probly doing alot of writing (and what better time to write than night time?) could appreciate having her hands free every now and then.

then the Gerber LX 3.0 is another good choice. extremly tough light with a great beam for any sort of work. $40 from Battery Station and runs on AA batteries. heavy enough to swing upside someone's head if the need arises.

for a small light, how about a 3 or 5 LED, hi-power, HA3 Kilimanjaro from Peak LED Solutions with whatever color LED's you think will be most useful to her for $35? small and run for a good amount of time.

and you simply cannot omit the Underwater Kinetics 4AA eLED for $20. it's way too incredible with that regulation and toughness. not to mention it's dustproof.

you'd be able to set her up very nicely for around $140 with the set ups i have in mind. and they'll probly last her long long long after she comes home too.

and now, we consult the timeless reviews of Quickbeam:
Quickbeam's 3 and 5 LED Kilimanjaro review - 4&1/2 stars
Quickbeam's Underwater Kinetics 4AA eLED review - 5 stars
Quickbeam's Gerber LX 3.0 review - 4 stars
Quickbeam's Princeton Tec EOS review - 5 stars
Quickbeam's Princeton Tec Corona review - 5 stars

watt4

Enlightened
I have been wanting to try a streamlight twintask AA light. that might be worth a look.

as secondary lights, a couple infinity ultras and several photon 2's would be good.

whatever you pick as primary, take two of them.

consider packing some extra ultras, for use as gifts.

Blades

Flashlight Enthusiast
I would suggest one of those 15 or 30 minute AA battery chargers. I think they come with 4 AA batteries, and I think Battery Station(one of our supporters) carrys them.

Blades

straightblast

Newly Enlightened
Buddy worked there for a year, then went to Iraq. He said the light that was on him 24/7 and used the most was the surefire E1. Of course he had multiple lights, some tac some not, but that is what he used...and could afford to use anything. A couple of those, some spare bulbs, and a few boxes of batteries don't weigh all that much. Maybe put an LED head on it.

E__WOK

Newly Enlightened
Reporters should not be allowed in a combat zone, especially a female.

Get a small kechain light from photon or inova. I prefer inova because it doesn't need tools to be taken apart.

AA and 123 batts are in plentiful supply.

Get her a L4. no bulbs to break.