Best Throw for a 3 Cell Lithium

daBear

Enlightened
Alright another newbie question. I have a Pila GL3R on the way but I understand it is more of a flood light that one with an intense hot spot. The next light I will look at will have a better throw at distances. I am thinking of modifying two 3D Mags I have or looking at something like the Surefire C3. What is a good throwing light under $200 using 3 - 123s?

Spacemarine

Enlightened
The Streamlight Tl-3 is definately the best thrower in it's price class. (around 50-60 Dollar)

Perhaps you can get a used Surefire M3T for around 200 on B/S/T, that would have an even better throw, but is also much more expensive and also a lot bigger.

paulr

Flashaholic
If you can find a Space Needle II, that's your best bet. It's a 2C M*g modded with 3x123 and a 5 watt overdriven Luxeon. You can't beat that big smooth deep reflector if you're after throw.

You could of course just put a 6 cell M*g bulb and 3x123 in a M*g 2C. That would be pretty cheap and have good throw. The Reflectalite GH24 (?) bulb will be even better, but will melt the reflector if you run it for too long.

brightnorm

Flashaholic
The Streamlight TL-3 (xenon) is the brightest and furthest-throwing non-turbohead light of its size.

MODEL…….…….....LGTH ...….BZL DIA ……BOD DIA ……WT…….LUMENS/CP<>

Streamlight TL-3.…6 ¼"………..1 5/8"………….7/8"…………..6.7oz….….175-200 L
(Xenon)

The TL-3's brightness and throw is remarkable for such a small light. The 32mm reflector is only 5mm greater than the "standard" 27mm so I don't class it as a true turbohead. The only downside is fairly quick battery depletion. This light would be a natural for rechargeables but it is about 3/8" too short to accommodate 2xPILA 150S and 3x123 rechargeables would blow the bulb.

NTL, this light will out-perform most if not all other lights of its size and weight. Its relatively low price is icing on the cake.

Brightnorm

knifebright

Enlightened
I'll second the TL-3. Amazing throw incan on that one. I only sold mine once i realized that led lighting took over my every thought. A mad 3 d will make a nice direct drive lux3 light. Though not as much light as a spaceneedle II it will certanly out throw one.
jimmy

Wolfen

Flashlight Enthusiast
3 D mag mod is a great choice! I have modded mags all over the house for use as lights and emergency impact devices.

It has really good throw and better beam characteristics than the stock bulb.

bwaites

Flashlight Enthusiast
The 3D incan mods are by far the longest throwing lights in that form factor.

Using one of the WelchAllyn bulbs and a smooth reflector, nothing else comes close. Using an orangepeel reflector will smooth out most of the beam artifacts, while sacrificing only a little throw.

Bill

paulr

Flashaholic
well, for 3x123, you can use a 2c mag. It has the exact same reflector as the 3d.

bjn70

Flashlight Enthusiast
Lots of discussion on this...

For a 2C M*g you can get a piece of automotive heater hose and split it down one side. It is about the right thickness to make up the space between the diameter of a 123 and a C. Other people have found plastic pipe that was the right inner diameter for a 123 then put a few wraps of duct tape around the outside so it doesn't rattle.

Kiu

Enlightened
3D Maglite is much larger than any 3x123 cells flashlight.
If size isn't the factor (need throw only), surely go with the Mag or mag mod.
Talking the size of SF C3, I guess TL-3 is best in terms of the throw & price. I will EDC the TL-3 sometimes but never a 2C mag.

DaGeek

Enlightened
Yep just wrap her up with lots of duct tape and a piece of PVC pipe... That's worked of me!!

PlayboyJoeShmoe

Flashaholic
If you get the bulb centered correctly in the reflector, there may not be anything that throws a tighter spot farther than a M*g mod.

1" PVC pipe gets fron D to C, 3/4" (I think it is) with a bit of duct tape gets fron C to 123.

You will need one heck of a spacer in a 3D M*g however. The 2C was MADE for this mod!

bjn70

Flashlight Enthusiast
As far as centering the bulb- the KPR112 that I got from RadioShack has a base that is longer than the stock bulb so it is difficult to get it centered plus it sits a little higher. In my 2C it would not focus to a tight spot (because it sits higher?) but would pretty much match my Pelican M6 LED for spot size. This is a good size spot though for most uses. The tiny spot won't light up a very big subject so you have to move the light around to make out the entire subject.