Run-Time Plot - PALight Survival

Status
Not open for further replies.

Roy

Farewell our Curmudgeon Administrator
This runtime plot is for a PALight Survival single LED flashlight that was received from Palights. At slightly less than 10 hours, when the computer crashed, the flashlight was still putting out enough light to see your feet with.

Equipment used is a photocell and a Radio Shack 22-805 multimeter with a PC interface that is using ScopeView software (V. 1.08).

The vertical axis is in MA and the horizontal axis is one hour per division.

Be aware that your actual battery mileage may vary from that indicated by this runtime plot.

pal.jpg

Ratso

Enlightened
This is on the High Beam right? It looks like you get 6 hours flat output (regulated?) and the other 14 are just "useable light".

Angus

Newly Enlightened
Roy, I really appreciate the plots that you do. Is there a central location for these plots?

Once again, Thanks!!!
icon14.gif

Quickbeam

Flashlight Enthusiast
I saw this plot this morning and I'm still puzzled - that sure looks like a regulated plot to me, but PALights doesn't indicate regulation in their materials.

I would think this would really boost it's popularity. 6 hours unchanging, constant output on high is pretty good. That's a flat as an Opalec!

I'll add the Palight plot to the archive on my site in the next day or 2.

Roy

Farewell our Curmudgeon Administrator
I would think that there is some sort of regulation with that 9v battery in there. I suspect that there are many hours of reduced light available. My computer generated the "Big Blue Screen OF Death" at about 10 hours into the runtime plot and brought everything to a crashing halt!

geepondy

Flashlight Enthusiast
Wow, I must add my regulation comments as well. I have only older Pals and I'm 95-99 percent sure that mine aren't regulated based on extended usage and output.

Brock

Flashaholic
Pal's are regulated, sort of. All they really do is limit the power getting to the LED and since they are fed 9v it takes a while before the battery drops below the point the LED is a full brightness. Man that sounds confusing. The LED needs about 3.5v for full output, so until the battery drops below that it is at full brightness. So it is more of a limiter then a regulator.

In any case it does have a nice flat output, and was the first light to really do that. It is a great light (if you take out that lens)
smile.gif

Saaby

Flashaholic
James Meyer said:
Please be aware: One reason we do not advertise regulated output is because not all our models, including the Survival, have this feature. It depends on the type of switch we get, and depending on this we choose the regulator ciruitry or otherwise. This is an inherant situation that I inherited when I took over PALights and we are working on eliminating this situation in later models.
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">So some are regulated...some are not. James is working on it....

Brock

Flashaholic
Originally posted by witsend:
How about a graph of the always on? Maybe the time divisions in months?
grin.gif
grin.gif

Brock--Up with your little one?
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">LOL yup. I don't know if my wife would let me tie up the camera for a couple of months. Although we have been using the Pal since he was born, it is great, enought light to take a peak at him at night, but not wake him up, and you can always find it late at night.
smile.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.