X200 Battery Change Method ?

HarryN

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hi - I was looking at the X200 as a "maybe" light - anybody have a pic of how the batteries (cells) are changed out ? It looks like the switch is on the back, so where do the cells go in ?

Thanks Harry

mokona2

Enlightened
I don't own one myself, but I believe the switch assembly doubles as the cover plate for the two CR123 batteries.

Forgot to mention, the batteries go side-by-side, one positive facing forward, the other reversed (in parallel?).

Size15's

Flashaholic
I hope these photos help:

x200-08.jpg

x200-09.jpg

In case you didn't get a sense of how tiny the X200A is, here is a photo of one next to an L4:
x200-04.jpg

Prolepsis

Enlightened
Maybe I am a big baby, but on three X200As so far, I find that you can't just easily pop off the latch to change batteries. Al mentioned once offhand that the people who really wanted this light (operators, that is), wanted the latch to be even tighter.

One of my X200s is really tight--I use the flat end of a screwdriver to pop it open. Having said that, the tight latch = helps with waterproofness, so it's all good.

Btw, you didn't mention what you wanted the light for (EDC, pistol, etc.). I use mine as an EDC--as Al shows in his pics, the light is quite compact. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cool.gif

HarryN

Flashlight Enthusiast
So - you have multiple X200's ? - that is quite a commitment to the light.

I like the size for EDC, although I am not sure about some aspects - it does not look like it would stand on its tail, and there are a lot of small protrusions - not sure if this is really an issue or not. I guess I will need to find a dealer and look / feel.

The battery change method reminds me of the snaps on my 30 year old Ikelight dive light. The method is still valid, but can be very tight to remove. (mine Ikelight has 3 snaps, and 1 has to be removed with a screw driver as well)
That light has 6 x D cells, so it is a little large for a water tight EDC.

I assume that the o ring is replaceable and sits in some kind of o ring groove - so if the fit is too tight, I suppose you can find an o ring with a lower durometer.

I do not go very deep - seldom more than 10 meters, but it is nice to have a light which could go in the pool or on a boat without having to worry about it.

Lux III should be plenty bright for my use - I assume the next gen would be Lux V, but I am not sure if this is that much better with only 2x123 as a power supply anyway.

I can think of lots of ways to use a light with an integrated mounting method and the shortness of side by side 123.

Size15's

Flashaholic
There switch plate can be replaced as a whole. It is not an "o-ring" - is more like a gasket and is integral to the switch plate.

The switch plate latch required deliberate force to operate so that it is highly unlikely to be accidently opened in storage, carry or use. Remeber that as a WeaponLight, it will be subjected to various vibrations and shocks as well changes in temperature. The seal is tight. The X200A is rated waterproof to 33 metres.

The X200A is supplied with a security pin that can be used to lock the latch so that is can not be operated with the pin in place.

There is going to be an X200B that rumor has it features a 5W Luxeon in a reflector similar (likely, identical) to the KL4.

Al

Prolepsis

Enlightened
[ QUOTE ]
HarryN said:
So - you have multiple X200's ? - that is quite a commitment to the light.

I like the size for EDC, although I am not sure about some aspects - it does not look like it would stand on its tail, and there are a lot of small protrusions - not sure if this is really an issue or not. I guess I will need to find a dealer and look / feel.

[/ QUOTE ]

Al answered most of your questions, so I'll just answer this one.

You can sort of balance the light on its tail--not super easy/quick to do, but it is possible. Not part of the design feature, but when I have the light on, I can use it in "candle mode."

By the way, if you visit my page on the X200, near the bottom, you'll see my beamshots of the light. Some people like the beam; some people don't.

Or visit Don's page for info on his mods.

One of my lights is Don's McX200--I love it. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif Another light has a faulty switch so I have to send it back to SureFire.

I am eagerly waiting for the rumoured X200B. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cool.gif

I too, love the size of the light. Side-by-side 123s = compact! This compact size is why I prefer the X200 for EDC, even though it was designed to be a weapon light.

mokona2

Enlightened
I've been looking to purchase an X200 myself for my handgun, but I'm still waiting for a tape switch or DevGru type horseshoe switch. Makes it much easier to activate. Also since the X200 is designed as a weapon light, isn't the battery cover backed up by a handgun's trigger guard?

Hmm.. EDC a super compact LED.. can't wait for the 5W version. Shouldn't be too hard to adapt the KL4 to the X200.

Isn't the Scout Light virtually identical to an L4, except for the new combo switch and weapon mounting options?

spock

Enlightened
hello, when I first received my x200, I latched the battery door shut to see how it fit. bad move! It must have created a type of suction as it would not open. after trying for 5-10minutes, I resorted to my knife. didn't scratch it, but it was difficult even then. with the batteries loaded it is somewhat easier to open. I was too embarrassed to call surefire.

Size15's

Flashaholic
The X200A TIR Optic is different - far more intense then that used by the KL1.

The ScoutLight can use the KL1 or KL4 bezels.

I understand that X200D00 inline switch version is starting to be avaliable.

Al