Good 5 watt Luxeons, where are you?

3rd_shift

Flashlight Enthusiast
Even some of the premium brand manufacturers are having difficulty getting good Luxeon5 brutes lately.

Bring on the 5 watt clones!!
We need bright, 5+ watt emitters at 120+ lumens.
Just finding Luxeon5's that barely meet, or exceed the 120 lumen spec on rare occurences is getting old now.
We'll take any manufacturer's good 5+watt led emitters at this point.

cy

Flashaholic
yep, loads of excellent 3watts suddenly appearing. Even TWOH's are making appearances. TWOJ are getting common.

But where are the good five watts?

code09

Enlightened
I got a nuwai 5 watt LED...but i dont think its going at 120Lumens...how can i push it farther? Will 2 R123's battery work? or will that burn it out?

jtr1962

Flashaholic
The only reason Lumileds produced a part with four dies per emitter (which is a bad idea on so many levels) was because at the time the market demanded much more light output than one die could deliver, and it was the only way to get ~120 lumens in one package. Sometime this year LIIIs will produce that much thanks to efficiency increases and the five watt part will be obsolete, if it isn't already. I submit that the reason it's becoming harder to find good Luxeon V's is because Lumileds is aware of its impending obsolescense, and is no longer putting any R&D into it.

koala

Flashlight Enthusiast
I am looking for good Vs too unfortunately it looks like the higher demand of lux III over V for it's cost has decrease the production of Vs.

-my 2c

jtr1962

Flashaholic
[ QUOTE ]
koala said:
I am looking for good Vs too unfortunately look like the higher demands of lux III over V for it's cost has decrease the production of Vs.

[/ QUOTE ]
That certainly seems plausible.

The hard fact is that on a cost per lumen basis the Luxeon V compares badly to the Luxeon III, its optical properties are inferior, and due to difficulty in matching multiple emitters the lifetime is very short. The sole reason for the Luxeon V to even exist is that the flashlight market demanded ~100 lumens in one package for optical reasons. In any other app if more light was needed, it is easier to go with more emitters. If I was a betting type I would say that the Luxeon V will cease production sometime in 2005. Once single emitters putting out over 100 lumens are available it will make no sense to continue producing it.

3rd_shift

Flashlight Enthusiast
I agree totally.
I started off making 3 watt mods for the reasons above.
But then, I thought about it as I played with my 1st ever luxeon maggmod with a 5 watt in it.
A 2c cell with a 5 watt and cr123's or pilas would still /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/buttrock.gif
That was why I was late in offering the 2c 5 watt little brutes.
But I love them too, now that I made some.

Anybody reading this from anywhere in the world, there is still a market for bigger multi-die leds.
Take your best shot.

koala

Flashlight Enthusiast
I've got 4 TWOJ can someone at Lumileds help me unpack the emmiters and pack them in V style? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

HarryN

Flashlight Enthusiast
I suspect that the issue is at least partly a heat issue. The Lux package is pretty much tapped out at 6 or 7 watts when performed perfectly, and more often, 5 watts is the upper limit.

The logical path from my perspective, is to offer a double die package - 2 x Lux III die - paralled for low voltage and series for the higher voltage applications. That is pretty much the upper limit for heat removal anyway, and the result should break the 100 lumen level easily. Optics - well - we can eventually figure out anything.

Geode

Enlightened
[ QUOTE ]
jtr1962 said:
The only reason Lumileds produced a part with four dies per emitter (which is a bad idea on so many levels) was because at the time the market demanded much more light output than one die could deliver, and it was the only way to get ~120 lumens in one package. Sometime this year LIIIs will produce that much thanks to efficiency increases and the five watt part will be obsolete, if it isn't already. I submit that the reason it's becoming harder to find good Luxeon V's is because Lumileds is aware of its impending obsolescense, and is no longer putting any R&D into it.

[/ QUOTE ]

Would anyone be able to refer me to CPF threads or websites with state of the art info on the Luxeon III becoming so powerful? Thanks.