EliteMax went dim! [fixed]

RonM

Flashlight Enthusiast
Horror of horrors. My beloved EternaLight EliteMax has gone dim. Thought it was dead batteries, but a fresh set of lithiums produced the same result. On the highest setting I'm gettling little more than Arc AAA output. However, momentary overdrive mode still puts out high levels. Help!

CroMAGnet

Flashlight Enthusiast
Re: EliteMax went dim!

NO! I was just thinking of getting one. I guess this is not a good time to ask how you like it.

Saaby

Flashaholic

Call em' up. Bet they take good care of you.

The_LED_Museum

*Retired*

I've never heard of an eternaLight failing before...one failure out of thousands of units is pretty good odds in my opinion. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

Bullzeyebill

Flashaholic

Sounds like somehow you got stuck in a low setting. Pull out your manual, or download it from the web site, and re-read. It is possible to do just this, but seldom happens. Hitting the controls you might have inadvertantly set it up for a setting you are not used to. They are like a little computer.

Bill

RonM

Flashlight Enthusiast

It's back to normal. Here's what I did. First I tried a reset using the buttons, per the manual. Result was that it came back to normal brightness, but only for the first 3 levels, then it dropped off sharply. The manual also said you could do a reset by removing the batts then holding the power button for 10 seconds, so I tried it. Sure enough that did the trick.

I love my eliteMax and ergoMarine. Until this incident they had always proven to be totally reliable. I've been on this forum for a long time now and I don't really have any memory of others reporting problems with eternaLights.

Thanks,

fuelblender

Enlightened

One thing you guys should be careful of is the screws that hold it together - it doesn't take a lot of force to spin the brass inserts by over torqueing the screws. In my case I actually broke the plastic "wells" off that the inserts are pressed into (boo hoo!). I had to *carefully* epoxy (JB Weld) the broken plastic around the inserts and then epoxy them inside the housing making sure that they would line up with the screws. I should have been a brain surgeon... If I had not decided to write the date on the batteries, this would never have happened. DARN!

RonM

Flashlight Enthusiast

From the manual-

Reset: resets the unit to default configuration. To reset the unit, while off, press and hold the (Adjust) button, then press and hold the (Mode) button then press and release (Power). Alternatively, remove the batteries, then press and hold the (Power) button for 10 seconds.

turbodog

Flashaholic

Yeah, it was in my manual. I had just forgotten.

Mine still works fine, even after floding twice. And I mean flooding, not just a drop of two of water. I had some crap in a screw hole so the screw didn't tighten up enough. After flooding twice, I finally figured this out.