Princeton Tec "Surge" Flashlight

Yukon_Jack

Enlightened
Princeton Tec \"Surge\" Flashlight

I have decided to buy a Surge. Can you folks in the know help me with two questions:

1) I heard that the early models had a problem with overheating - which was later corrected. Question: How can I tell if I'm buying an updated model?

2) Since it will run on only 4AA with reduced runtime, makes sense it will run just fine on 8 NiHm. Question: How does the Surge perform using rechargables?

Many thanks.

JeffH

Newly Enlightened
Re: Princeton Tec \"Surge\" Flashlight

1) If you order from Brightguy.com you will get the latest model. The latest model evidently has a warning card in it that didn't used to be present. Check out flashlightreviews.com for the specifics on that under the review of the Surge.
2) I have been told that rechargeables should not be used with this light.
Jeff

paulr

Flashaholic
Re: Princeton Tec \"Surge\" Flashlight

Getting batteries in and out of this light is a big pain. Using rechargeables won't harm the light, but if you're using the light often enough to need rechargeables, you might go for something like a Tigerlight instead. My Surge is still on its original set of alkalines after a year or so in the glove compartment, occasionally used for lighting a house number or something. Surges are more suitable for that type of light duty use.