Tailcap resistor values?

Jetrider

Newly Enlightened
Im thinking of getting a 2 stage switch for my SF L4 & L1
I see that tailcap resistors vary from 15 ohms to 60 ohms
can someone explain the pros/cons of the different values?

cheers
J.

greenLED

Flashaholic
more resistance, less output. Although it depends on the amount of light you need/feel comfortable with, I see people setting down for the 15 and 22 ohms ones. YMMV I'm a brightness junkie; I'd probably get a 15 one

Jetrider

Newly Enlightened
thanks for the info, so the tailcap resistor effects how bright the light is?? Any clue as to what ohm the factory tailcap is on the L4 & L1?
So I'll assume a 15ohm would be a real battery sucker...guess the 22ohm would be a happy medium?

cheers
J.

Chop

Flashlight Enthusiast
The tailcap resistors determine the light's brightness in LOW mod only. It does not affect the high beam at all.

The resistance that you should use is largely determined by the battery configuration and the luxeon in your light.

A fair starting point for any particular combination would be as follows:

Lux III with a boost converter in single cell light would be 10 or 15 ohms.

Lux III with a buck converter in a two cell light would be 60 ohms.

5W with a boost converter in a two cell light would be 22 ohms.

5W with a buck converter in a three cell light would be about 30 ohms.

If I recall correctly, the stock resistance of the L1 tail cap is 10 ohms.

Lionhill

Newly Enlightened
I have the L4 and (new) KL1 head with a 22ohm Aleph trim tailcap. It is a nice combination for indoor outdoor work. The low setting is more that enough for inside the house and inside 15 feet. I usually only use the higher setting when outdoors, and wanting to see a good distance. This is the best combination of flashlight that I have owned - great EDC and self defense light. All from SureFireParts.

LH