Anyone have spare/used parts cheap??

dimwatt

Newly Enlightened
I am interested in spare or used parts.
Also non operating or partial lights that can be moded later with more scrounged parts. I just commited a good part of my monthly allowance to Lambda on parts for my first mod(I'm married,with children, therefore carry no cash)A regulated 3 watt LS and goodies to go in my 2XAA./ubbthreads/images/graemlins/clap.gif (very excited)!

Next up is a generic 3XAA and a 3XD M*g. Any parts or LEDs for these would be of interest.

If any of you have any thing I might be able to use, now or as a future project, please e mail me.

I also make jewelery using semi precious stones mounted in sterling silver if you would be interested in an equal value trade. Even though everything is hand crafted and one of a kind, I don't over value my work.
/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/thanks.gif

Arlen...dimwatt

Ken_McE

Flashlight Enthusiast
Luxeon Finger Ring

You say you do jewelry. A Luxeon one LED will light with 3.0 volts. There are 3 volt hearing aid batteries. Would you be capable of putting together a finger ring that was a Luxeon flashlight?

It should be made of silver so that it has some heatsink. There should be an inner sleeve around the finger of something that would insulate you a bit from the hot silver. At a glance it should look like one of those everyday high school graduation rings. I assume twist on twist off. It would be the ultimate EDC...

Disadvantages: Hearing aid battery will have short run time. LED will overheat if run for too long.

Could you build such a thing?

dimwatt

Newly Enlightened
Re: Luxeon Finger Ring

Hmmm, that would be trippy but cool! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cool.gif It could be done but I need to do some thinking as how best to build the on/off function. Building it durable enough to withstand the edc part would be something of a challenge as well due to the bumps and such that it would be exposed to. I am fairly accomplished at the craft but am by no means as good as many of the craftsmen (and women) that I admire.

Also, silver solder flows at about 1,200ºf so silver work must be done with a torch instead of a soldering iron which makes delicate items very difficult to assemble as the melting point of thin silver is only about 100º more than the solder it's held together with.
The first one or two might have to be more of a novelty until I could evaluate and correct any quirks that might arise during every day use. You most certainly would have one of a kind!!! Kind of like something out of a James Bond movie /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Oh, just so you know, there is no way that you would pay what it would cost to design and build it so this will have to be partly done as a personal challenge. I'll have to pick up a battery and start doing some layout. I'm not sure that the small battery would even last long enough to be worthwhile. You might run a few calculations in that area. Feel free to pm me anytime.

Arlen....dimwatt

Ken_McE

Flashlight Enthusiast
Re: Luxeon Finger Ring

dimwatt said:
Hmmm, that would be trippy but cool! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cool.gif It could be done but I need to do some thinking as how best to build the on/off function. Building it durable enough to withstand the edc part would be something of a challenge as well due to the bumps and such that it would be exposed to.

Yes. That's why I was thinking pseudo graduation ring style. They are big and chunky enough that you would have some material to work with.

The first one or two might have to be more of a novelty until I could evaluate and correct any quirks that might arise during every day use.

I would be highly impressed if you can do it at all.

You most certainly would have one of a kind!!! Kind of like something out of a James Bond movie /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

if could you could actually make them you could probably swap them for anything on this board. It's the ultimate EDC.

Oh, just so you know, there is no way that you would pay what it would cost to design and build it so this will have to be partly done as a personal challenge.

Heh. What, me spend a months pay on a flashlight?

I'll have to pick up a battery and start doing some layout. I'm not sure that the small battery would even last long enough to be worthwhile.

I expect that run time would be measured in minutes. However if you run a Luxeon at full power for more than a few minutes you start to get heating problems. No, I am not going to walk around wearing a heat sink with fins and all on my finger.

You might run a few calculations in that area. Feel free to pm me anytime.

I was thinking I'd look around for hearing aid batteries in the 3~3.5 volt range, hook 'em up, and time them . You would probably want the biggest one that fits in a ring.