Arc LS question

nicholas1986

Newly Enlightened
Hi i am new to CPF and also new to all these flashlight
i am intending to get the Arc LS but after reading the previous posts, i realise that there are many models for this light (hybrid) etc. i want to know is that which is the lastest one and is there a way (eg box) to determine if the seller sells you the model that is the lastest....
btw which Arc ls is the best?

sunspot

Flashlight Enthusiast
As of now, the hybrid is the latest and greatest. The hybrid has current regulation as opposed to voltage regulation. I believe it is called hybrid is that the new circuit was for the 5w (LS2) that is delayed so Arc put it in a LS1.
Welcome to CPF and hang on to your wallet (not possible).

JollyRoger

Enlightened
If I were you, I would get either the Hybrid (if you want one right this instant), or the ARC LS2, which should be out by the end of the month. The LS2 will have the revised electronics, smaller and water tight housing, and a nice-colored high dome 1W luxeon emitter inside. It will also come with some accessories/goodies.
The LS3 is probably still going to be a while, since 5W's aren't even being produced in large numbers and with consistent quality.

Charles Bradshaw

Flashlight Enthusiast
Current model is the LS1 Rev2: low dome emitter w/NX05 optics, revision 2 circuit and body. It is rated waterproof to 50 feet. This is the last of the LS1 series. The next model out, will be the LS2, which is rev2 circuit and housing, and the high dome emitter. After that, is the LS3: 5 watt emitter and more of a flood.

The hybrids ran at 500 Milliamps, and the current version runs at 400 MA.

Welcome to CPF.

Sean

Flashlight Enthusiast
This chart should help:

ImageServer.psp

Low dome (batwing) LS (old version) has a different radiation pattern than the new high dome LS. High domes are also suppose to be brighter and have a tighter beam than low domes.

Original LS's ran at 300mA.
Hybrids with a green board run at 400mA, hybrids with a brown board (only ~100 made) run at 500mA. All of the above are no longer in production but many dealers still have these in stock.

Current release LS's (LS1 rev2) have the revision 2 body style (same style as LS2 & LS3 will be) run at 400mA and have a one piece construction, thinner body & are water resistant with a lexan lens. These LS's will trickle into dealer stock.

Right now the only way to know for sure what version you are getting is to buy from Arc directly. They are selling the LS1 (low dome) with the new revision 2 body. You can also ask dealers to check their stock, but unless they know what they are looking for, good luck.
wink.gif

Icebreak

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hey Sean-

Again, going to http://store.yahoo.com/flashlight/ just gives me a little bit of a head-ache. This may be because I want to support the efforts of ARC. My inspiration to be supportive has been accelerated with the knowledge that one of CPF's top-ten modders has had a hand in the R & D. It is just hard to figure out. Even with your outstanding chart (best explanation I've seen), the task is daunting to me. I know you can e-mail them and get a response. Maybe that's the best way.

Going by your chart the current LS1 @ $120.00 is a rev2 right? I don't see a thing about hybrids on the ARC site.

Then, your chart shows LS2 available last month. I'm just going to have to wait. If someone told me they would buy one for me off the site I would probably tell them to buy the $60.00 factory second as I believe Mr. Gransee is the personification of many stellar qualities such as integrity. Surely, he never allows anything to go out that isn't what he believes to be fine to the fullest extent of the word fine. PG and his associates will, IMHO, produce an LSx that overtakes the current placeholder of the finest flashlight in the world. Presently that position is held, again IMHO, by the ARC AAA.

I really like your graph. Very good job. Thanks.

-Jeff

*edit*
nicholas1986-

Welcome to CPF.

If you don't have one yet you need an... (I'll let a more knowledgable member tell you that)

If not sure which of two torches to get; always get... (C'mon guys, go ahead and tell him)

Rothrandir

Flashaholic
i like your ahem...chart also
grin.gif
very informative. as soon as the ls2 comes out...when will it be though?

Sean

Flashlight Enthusiast
Well I didn't make the chart, I think Jeff did. I just dug it up.

The LS1 was available in October. The LS2 should be out in limited numbers at the end of this month. It will retial for $150 and come with a battery and a pouch/holder. To get it cheaper you'll have to wait for dealers to get it. Their should be less confusion over the LS2 from dealers since it has a different name. Wereas the LS1 was "original", "400mA hybrid", "500mA hybrid" original body, new body, etc.

So once dealers start getting these (I would guess in a month at best) they should be sold as the Arc LS2. That makes it simple and you know what you are getting.

Very true, the Arc site doesn't say anything about this but you can give them a call or email them to verify.

B@rt

Flashaholic
You should't have posted that, now it says:
"Sorry, this site is temporarily unavailable! The web site you are trying to access has exceeded its allocated data transfer."

icon15.gif
grin.gif

Sean

Flashlight Enthusiast
Originally posted by Bart.:
You should't have posted that, now it says:
"Sorry, this site is temporarily unavailable! The web site you are trying to access has exceeded its allocated data transfer."

icon15.gif
grin.gif
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">Stop that!
grin.gif

That's what I get for having a free website.
icon15.gif
It's always down.
frown.gif

nicholas1986

Newly Enlightened
is the arc ls lens cover that fragile? read some website that if you scratch the lens and it will be gone. then is there a way to protect it?

another thing is that between the surefire 6p and the arc ls which is better?

Sean

Flashlight Enthusiast
Originally posted by nicholas1986:
is the arc ls lens cover that fragile? read some website that if you scratch the lens and it will be gone. then is there a way to protect it?

another thing is that between the surefire 6p and the arc ls which is better?
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">The original body style (version 1) just used the NX-05 optics as the lens. It works great and by doing so you get maximum brightness because nothing is in front of the optic. It can scratch but no more easily than a mag lite. I wouldn't say it's fragile but it can get scratched up. You can cover the lens with wright-right to protect it if you want.

The LS1 rev2, LS2 & LS3 all have a lexan lens in front of the optic to protect it. But like any flashlight in the world, any lens can be scratched. If you use pyrex (glass) is is hard to scratch but can break. So there is no perfect solution. I actually like the bare optic used as the lens.
smile.gif

PJD

Flashlight Enthusiast
nicholas1986...I received my LS1rev2 about 2 weeks ago (bought directly from Arc...), and I am extremely pleased with it. While my non-flashoholic friends raise their eyebrows when I tell them I spent $120.00 on a flashlight (...poor souls; they just don't understand...), they're truly amazed when I crank this sucker up! It has become my EDC, along with my E2, and if you decide to "take the plunge", you WON'T be disappointed!

PJD