M@g options driving me crazy! Help!

Bright Scouter

Enlightened
I have started reading all the threads from the last month or so about modded mags. I've been away for a while. In the land of the led. But I'm back now. And I am so confused it is amaizing to me!

I like the idea of using the bipin WA bulbs. So I know I need the Magcharger switch. But, from there I don't know what combinations work well, or best.

It seems that if you want to mod a certain ?D size, you can use either 3AA or 4AA holders, sometimes with a dummy cell. There are also 6AA>2D and 9AA>3D size holders. Any specific advantages to the 3AA vs the 4AA style, or vice versa?

What about reflectors. I know I need something other than stock. What are the different options and what are their advanatages or disadvantages?

I am really after a stealthy M@g. Higher power, but without any outwardly noticeable mods. So, using the M@g body, what are the options?

I know this sounds basic, but many of the threads have part of the info, but not all of it. They talk only of one part, one option and never compare the differnt ones to each other.

Thanks for anything I get at this point.
/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused.gif

PlayboyJoeShmoe

Flashaholic
I got three M*gcharger switches because I'm going to do three Hot M*gs.

I know this much. Most guys run 9AA on a WA01185. But it is at spec at 8AA. This is either a 2D w/8AA-2D or 3D w/9AA-3D.

I'm going to do a 3D 9AA 1185, a 3D MC stick batt 1160, and a 2D 6AA 1111.

I am waiting for (and am SO IN for) Fivemega to offer drop in aluminum reflectors again. I favor beam quality over all out throw, so I want orange peal reflectors. He may also offer smooths.

UCL lense from Flashlightlens.com is the glass of choice.

They will look like normal m*gs. The trick is to have a straight face when you say "I don't know why yours isn't this bright. I got it at Walmart"

hehehehehehehe!!!!

PlayboyJoeShmoe

Flashaholic
I don't have either of the 8AA or 9AA packs just yet... do have three Lektrolumens 3-D holders.

(also getting at least one 9AA from Fivemega!)

But check out the battery compatability chart in the 8AA thread in Group Buys and you'll find very few (and few commonly available) batteries that will fit 4 across in the average D M*g body.

Of course flap honing the inside of the average body MIGHT help....

bjn70

Flashlight Enthusiast
The factors in 3AA vs. 4AA-
1) Which can you actually get
2) Do you really want 9 cells or will 8 or less do it
3) Will you accept a 3D length or do you want a 2D length
4) Do you want to be restricted in which cells you can use-
not all cells will fit in the 4AA's.

PlayboyJoeShmoe

Flashaholic
Yeah! The 4 across thing is sketchy at best!

Wilkie says (and I'm listening!) that Sanyo/Energizer 2100mAh NiMH are THE batts for current draw/runtime optimisation....

They fit TIGHT in the new 2D I have. But I ordered 3 WA01274 bulbs that are hot on 7AA, and I have an 8AA-2D adapter coming. So I have to try opening up that M*g a bit.

I'll try flap honing once we get moved!

I might have to get yet another 2D to do a WA01111 on 6AA.

I think I'm sick... but it's a nice sickness!!!

Bright Scouter

Enlightened
Well, I think I am going to go for an MC60 to start with. Then I have totally change course and I think I will try to build up one of Fivemega's FM models. I can put one together that runs the 1185 in a 1D body. OK, it's a fat 1D and maybe a little long. But you get the idea. It's smaller than a 3D. And it will run on Pilas. So, I am going to spring for the bucks to do that one. Thanks for all the help.