Certain popular flashlights name ...

wojtek_pl

Enlightened
Hi,
I'm wondering wy certain popular flashlight name, beginning with M (M..gl..ht) is not spelled full.
It's always somehow shortened or modified. Was there any problems with this company (also begining with M /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif)??
Just curious...

GJW

Flashlight Enthusiast
Problems on this board?
Not that I'm aware of.

Fear of problems?
Yes.

Certain companies have a history of using lawyers quickly and often.
You can do a search for more details.

cratz2

Flashlight Enthusiast
You know, I've been on here for a short while now and I've never exactly understood why I was supposed to put M*G or M@G if I was posting a comment that wasn't negative in any way. I mean, I understand if it's a post trashing the company in some way.

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/icon3.gif

Guess I'll go do that search now... If I can find it!

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

greenLED

Flashaholic
We all have good and bad things to say about Surefire, Nuwai, Inova, Maglite, etc. I also find it weird that ppl tend to avoid using Mag's full name, but I've noticed we tend to shorten things around here. Thus, we end up with SF, sammies, LE, LA, , LEOs, HOLAS, Mags, M@gs, MM, Lux's, etc. and other shortened versions of whatever we refer to. I think we're all free to call stuff however we want. I don't see anything bad in calling SureFire SF, or Maglite Mags (or M@g) or whatever. I am not sure whether a person should fear a company lawsuit 'cuz they shortened their name on an on-line board. That, IMO, is just a bit too much (/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/eek.gif did I just see a black helicopter outside my window... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif).

It sure makes searching for Mag-related threads (and other items) a pain in the wazoo when they're not spelled in the way we expect them to. It takes a while to figure out all the different ways people refer to light-related items.

ABTOMAT

Flashlight Enthusiast
It's not for any concrete reason I'm aware of. Saying "M*g-Lite blows" isn't any more lawyer-cozy than "Mag-Lite blows" for the people who post stuff like that. You're not "supposed" to spell Mag any particular way.

Basically folks who didn't like the company started doing this a while ago, and impressionable newbies went with the flow. Now all the goofballs who come here do it.

I always saw the "M*g" spelling and specifically an insult. As in, using it in a non-trashing phrase to slam them a little.

ACMarina

Flashlight Enthusiast
It's been talked about before, but it's worth saying again that the multiple versions of the name make it hard to search for. If you're looking for a Minimag mod, you've got to search for Minimag, Minim@a, Minim*g, etc. .

PlayboyJoeShmoe

Flashaholic
I remain consistent in that I spell it M*g or Minim*g.

I like the lights a WHOLE LOT! They make wonderful things that just don't light up the way I like. Therefore modding is what it takes to make a good M*glite.

I spell it M*g because of the company itself. They have much more money in lawyers than most companies have PERIOD! They may or may not have (It is all very much speculation) had something to do with a VERY nice company going down.

Therefore, while the product itself (which almost never gets updated) is quite good. The company that made the product rather stinks up the flashlight industry.

I hope this gives you some insite!

chevrofreak

Flashlight Enthusiast
Over on the forum for Kimber Firearms there was some criticism of Kimbers quality and stuff, lawyers got involved, people got sued, and the forum got shut down.

greenLED

Flashaholic
I guess it does happen! Must've been something major (I guess/hope). Ah, the land of the [censored]!... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

makar

Enlightened
i agree what acmarina says: i find it very hard to search for any maglite related issues. you don't "punish" maglite with the incorrect spelling but cpf members who search for info. be assured that maglite doesn't care how someone writes their name on a forum.