My guinea pig died

bindibadgi

Flashlight Enthusiast
I didn't know it would be this sad. He was only a year old and we expected him to live a lot longer. It's really sad to see our other pig looking around for him and listening for him all the time. We might try to find him a new companion but I don't know how well he would adapt. Anybody with guinea pig experience?

I know it seems silly but he was a part of the family.

Sorry, I'm just a bit upset and I thought I'd vent it somewhere.

Cornkid

Flashlight Enthusiast
Sorry about that.... We once had a guinea pig... it died over the night.... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif

-tom

MaxaBaker

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hey man, sorry about your guinea pig. I have had many hamsters through the years; I know how you feel /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif

senecaripple

Flashlight Enthusiast
i had a couple ofpairs of absynnian guinea pigs, i had them both for over three years. on different occasions. the sad part was when one died the other was not long to follow. sorry to hear about your loss. i was very upset over the loss of them. they are very cuddly!

bindibadgi

Flashlight Enthusiast
For the time being we have put a little fluffy walrus toy in with him. He snuggles up to it and buries under it (like he did with the other pig) but he knows it's a fake. I hope we can find him a good companion that he will get along with. It's really upsetting to think of him all alone.

DaFiend

Enlightened
RIP guinea pig. Maybe get males and females...... then you will always have guinea pigs. those things breed like rabbits don't they? Start a guinea pig family /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Mags

Flashlight Enthusiast
I am very sorry to hear that. I myself remember this kind of loss. Although I am 12, I remember when I was 5. We had to move from Switzerland to the US. We had a cute little hamster... a white stripe going down its back, and a little fluff of fur for a tail... It nipped your hand lightly when it had to poop and it would lay a tiny "Chocolate sprinkle" /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/ooo.gif I loved watching it clean its face with the small bowl of sand that would be in his glass tank.... When we moved, we gave that hamster to someone we knew would take good care of him. 3 years later, we were told that he had died... I was very sad. I got by though, and I am sure you will too.

PhotonWrangler

Flashaholic
I'm also sorry to hear of your loss, Bindi. I've had pets over the years and they really do become a part of the family. I've had a couple of cats that were particularly human in the way that they interacted with me and sensed my moods, and it really hurt when I lost them. What I didn't lose though were the pleasant memories and the lessons of humility and unconditional love that they taught me.

Do you have some old rags or bedding that still has the deceased hamster's scent on it? It might help to comfort your remaining hamster if you can rub some of that scent onto the stuffed walrus. I think you should find him another hamster companion; clearly he misses having one. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Cornkid

Flashlight Enthusiast
QUOTE:
"Your guinea pig died geez. How did you do it!! We just can't seem to get rid of ours. We've had them for about 7years and they just won't go away!! "

Ok... we obviously have different opinions on our pet's lives.. unless it was a joke.
-tom

Bimmerboy

Flashlight Enthusiast
Very sorry to hear of your loss, Bindi. Pets absolutely become members of the family real fast. Poor pig... looking around for his buddy.
For your question, I believe he would adapt fine to another companion as long as the personalities get along well. That's just more of a pig to pig thing than anything else. My aunt and uncle have had many guinea pigs over the years and they'll sometimes have two of different ages. They just got another one recently... Murray... lol.

Surefire - that was a bit insensitive, wasn't it?

code09

Enlightened
[ QUOTE ]
bindibadgi said:
For the time being we have put a little fluffy walrus toy in with him. He snuggles up to it and buries under it (like he did with the other pig) but he knows it's a fake. I hope we can find him a good companion that he will get along with. It's really upsetting to think of him all alone.

[/ QUOTE ]

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/icon23.gif thats so sad, but yet cute at the same time. Animal emotions are so similar to humans

bindibadgi

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thanks guys for the encouragement. We went out and got him a new friend on Saturday. Didn't realise until we got Jemima home (note: Anthony is desexed /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif ) that Anthony was so huge!

Anyway, they seem to be happy. We have them in separate cages while nobody is around for the time being, right up next to one another though. They both try to bite through the cage to get to the other one. When we put them out on the grass, they just snuggle up to one another and eat. If one moves, the other goes and snuggles again. I guess that's a good sign.

It's good to see him perking up a bit but we still miss the other one.