New twice-as-bright LEDs from assorted sorces...

billw

Enlightened
Cree, Nichia, LumiLEDs. Everyone's been announcing next generation LEDs that sounds really sweet.

So: someone announce REAL LOUD LIKE, when and if someone starts selling the 1st generation 1W (and higher) LEDs at deep discounts!!

IsaacHayes

Flashlight Enthusiast
Re: New twice-as-bright LEDs from assorted sorces.

I doubt they'll sell them at a cheap price to move out, they'll probably still be around even though they could replace the existing ones with the improved dies and just market them as 1watt-(?)watt. The only way the exsisting tech leds will become cheaper is when the compitition ramps up and they have a better product, or a product of equal quality for less price.

HarryN

Flashlight Enthusiast
Re: New twice-as-bright LEDs from assorted sorces.

Well, if you go to the Lumileds site, look at Lux 1s, pick white 5500K, typical 31 Lumens, click the shopping cart - it takes you to Future - price less than 6 / each. I suspect that a high volume buyer can do better.

I have purchased sample qty from Future for these kind of prices no problem. And no, it is whatever bin it is.

Personally, for 2 bucks more, I would just buy a non binned Lux III, which is already a premium Lux 1. These are all pretty white compared to any other flashlights I have.