Glow Bezel Rings - Blue

Chop

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hey guys,

I had posted a while back showing some glow bezel rings that I made using epoxy and green glow powder.

They were nice enough, but they were kind of brittle.

Well, Wayne Y. recommended that I try some casting resin. All I can say is, "how did I miss this stuff?"

I made a piece of round rod out of two ounces of casting resin and mixed it with blue glow powder. After it set, I turned it down in my lathe and made some Aleph II bezel rings out of it.

This casting resin is great. It's hard. Real hard. After chucking the rod in my 5" chuck, I tightened down on it and it didn't give at all. It turns almost like delrin. It isn't brittle either.

Well, here are the pics...

picture.JPG

picture.JPG

Thanks for looking,

BTW, does anyone have an idea of how I might be able to make a mold of the bezel ring? Making these out of molds might be more cost and time effective.

Chop

Flashlight Enthusiast
They are pretty nice, but they aren't as bright as the green. I have another 4 oz. of the green coming in and I'll try it again.

jtice

Flashaholic
Great Idea Chop !!!

Didnt think that would turn out that strong, strong enough for threads huh?
That could have alot of applications !!

BugLightGeek

Flashlight Enthusiast
If you've got an extra couple blue bezel rings, I'll volunteer my services to take them off your hands for ya! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grinser2.gif

Braddah_Bill

Enlightened
QUOTE/

BTW, does anyone have an idea of how I might be able to make a mold of the bezel ring? Making these out of molds might be more cost and time effective.

/QUOTE

PM sent.......

xochi

Flashlight Enthusiast
Something that might be of interest (or not) is that the remote control that came with my recently purchased tv has two rubber buttons on it that glow like strontium alluminate glow powder. My point is just that , somewhere, plastic/rubber products are being made from glow powder doped plastic/rubber.

Skylighter

Enlightened
Chop, We just added millable plastic to our product line. It is 8.5" x 11" x 5/16" (8mm). It is made from our Ultra Green Pigment.

Xochi, We sell to over 100 manufacturers that mold the pigments into rubber and plastic. It is a common practice at this point.

Chop

Flashlight Enthusiast
Danny,

I've gotta tell you, until I started using your products, I had considered these sorts of things to be just gimmicks. Now that I've used your glow powder, I know that it can be more than just a gimmick.

When I get the time, I plan to make an entire flashlight head out of glow powder impregnated resin. That should look pretty cool.

Your millable plastic product is interesting, although I'd be more interested in round stock, which is pretty much what I'm making with your powder and casting resin.

Skylighter

Enlightened
Wow, Thanks!

I will also mention that a company called alumilite, which makes plastic resin kits did a bunch of testing with our products. If anyone is interested, you can talk to Carol at their company. Actual casting is way outside of my knowledge base, so I can't offer much assistance.

greenLED

Flashaholic
Hi Chop, could you please post links to your old references to glow bezels? I've tried a bunch of different search combinations and came up empty-handed (learned some about glow-powder and optics in the mean time, though...)