In CPF, is Mag a swear word?

Mags

Flashlight Enthusiast
/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/eek.gif OH MY GOD THAT GUY WROTE M*G IN CORRECT SPELLING!!!! Seriously, when people write M@g, it gets annoying. When you have at least one letter before and after @ without a space, it becomes a link for you to send an email address to that person. Of course, M at G doesnt even exist. So is Mag a swear word here at CPF? Will I get banned for posting Mag without cencorship? (OMG HE DID IT AGAIN!!!)

Solstice

Flashlight Enthusiast
I've seen plenty of people type Mag (uhoh- I just did it) /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/nana.gif. It's not a swear, its just a humorous way of making one's opinion clear without spelling it out.

Flashlight Enthusiast
[ QUOTE ]
Mags_despiser said:
/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/eek.gif OH MY GOD THAT GUY WROTE M*G IN CORRECT SPELLING!!!! Seriously, when people write M@g, it gets annoying. When you have at least one letter before and after @ without a space, it becomes a link for you to send an email address to that person. Of course, M at G doesnt even exist. So is Mag a swear word here at CPF? Will I get banned for posting Mag without cencorship? (OMG HE DID IT AGAIN!!!)

[/ QUOTE ]

I also find the @ sign annoying in Mag. When I'm in a Mag bashing mood, I'll call them Gaglites or something like that--at least it doesn't make a link out of the name.

bwaites

Flashlight Enthusiast
Not hardly, I write it all the time.

Most of the Mag animosity comes from their suits against anyone who remotely, MAYBE, infringes on a patent, and CPF'ers support of some of those companies.

I feel like that for the price, they're a good deal, especially when you add in the mod potential!!!

Bill

mike2004

Newly Enlightened
I bet nobody uses Mag85 in vain. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/bowdown.gif

MrBenchmark

Enlightened
[ QUOTE ]
Mags_despiser said:
/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/eek.gif OH MY GOD THAT GUY WROTE M*G IN CORRECT SPELLING!!!! Seriously, when people write M@g, it gets annoying.

[/ QUOTE ]

Not that I disagree with you, but this thread is really funny coming from someone named "Mags_despiser"! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

ABTOMAT

Flashlight Enthusiast
It's a way some people show disrespect for Mag-Lite. If you're making some particular agrument and you use "M*g" it can be funny, like saying "Crapsman" in regards to all the junk power tools Sears sells.

In regular postings it's stupid and childish. Half the people here who use it all the time probably don't know any better.

Mags

Flashlight Enthusiast
NOOOO!!!!.....
"You can only have alphanumeric characters in your display name. Special characters are not allowed because this allows users to spoof other display names. You may use the _ character to represent a space."

Velcro

Enlightened
Animosity? A lot of people here disrespect and despise Maglite, and then they go out and buy some. Talk about contradiction. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/yellowlaugh.gif

Beamhead

Flashlight Enthusiast
My flashaholism started with Mag and other "mag" type lights of which I still own.
I also believe that the majority of people on these forums own a few Mags. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/ooo.gif

Flashlight Enthusiast
[ QUOTE ]
Beamhead said:
My flashaholism started with Mag and other "mag" type lights of which I still own.
I also believe that the majority of people on these forums own a few Mags. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/ooo.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

I own lots of Mags from the days before I knew of better lights. Mags are still great for modding, but to me not that good out of the box-unmodded.

MotorbikeMan

Newly Enlightened
Hi folks

Just popped over from British Blades looking for info and found this thread quite interesting. I started using maglites years ago when I was working as a roadie and I've had at least a minimag on my belt ever since. I've always been surprised at the levels of seeming animosity directed towards mag. (Lawsuits excepted, that winds me up as well) The way I look at it is that for the money, maflites are good value as they do an ok job. Wether I'm crawling about under a stage or making my way through the woods on a camping trip, a maglite will stop me walking into things that are usually harder than me /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif Something that makes me like them even more is the fact that if I lose one, wreck one or have one stolen, I'm gonna be /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/mad.gif but it won't cost my left kidney to replace.

And they run off cheap batteries as well.

And they're fun to mod, already done a solitaire, looking for a 2D mod next, any ideas?

ABTOMAT

Flashlight Enthusiast
They're fine lights for the money and the best traditional D/C-cell flashlights you can buy. Most of the detractors here are just fed up with the lack of new models over the last 20 or so years.

Stanley

Flashlight Enthusiast
I thought the use of other characters to mention the word 'M-A-G' was more so to in a way mask it from turning up in search engines? More because some people don't want to 'glorify' the light anymore than what is used to be, hence not wanting it to show up on search engines esp for ppl who don't yet know about other better lights. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/icon3.gif

greenLED

Flashaholic
we just went over this a couple of weeks ago. I don't care what people call'em, but it sure makes searching for Mag products a royal pain...

JimH

Flashlight Enthusiast
Personally, I absolutely love Maglites. They have a pretty decent case, come in all sorts of pretty colors, and are SO EASY to make SO MUCH better.

You can take an ordinary Mag and have a hellofa lotta fun making one kick *** light out of it, and for not that much money.