Mini-gun video

nerdgineer

Flashlight Enthusiast
I hope this is not inappropriate, but I found this video real entertaining and I hope others will, also. Technically, this is not a "chain gun" as the name suggests, but a so-called "mini-gun".

Warning, broadband streaming video..

Video

MaxaBaker

Flashlight Enthusiast
That video isn't working for me either. O'well.

I always loved the part in Predator (1) where they stand there and go all lawn-mower on the forest with a mini-gun after one of the guys get killed.

Topper

Flashaholic*
thanks for the memories chain gun was what we called the minigun. I loved the Conan soundtrack.
Topper /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Xrunner

Flashlight Enthusiast
Wow /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/huh.gif I'm glad they are on our side. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/thumbsup.gif

-Mike

DarkLight

Enlightened
its called a chain gun because the electric motor spins the barrel assembly by a chain....looks very similar to a timing chain actually..

Although all miniguns are not chain guns and all chainguns are not miniguns..

But some miniguns are chain guns....

nerdgineer

Flashlight Enthusiast
The chain gun I knew was a 25 mm single barrel automatic cannon developed by Hughes Aircraft Co. in the 80's and used as the primary weapon on the USMC Light Armored Vehicle, as well as elsewhere.
drawing

It used a motor and chain to drive the reciprocating block/bolt in the action and was very reliable. Got a plastic model of it on my desk from one of the project engineers. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

StevieRay

Enlightened
Is there any way to download that video? I can view it on line unitll abput 2/3 way into it andit freezes.

Steve

mbs

Newly Enlightened
[ QUOTE ]
StevieRay said:
Is there any way to download that video?
Steve

[/ QUOTE ]

I have it on my HD. it is about 5MB. do you want me to send it to you?
Myron

Mags

Flashlight Enthusiast
THAT WAS AWESOME!!!! Sorry if it sounds a bit brutal. But weapons always seemed interesting to me, especially what we call gatling guns. But I never want to catch the bug of collecting weapons....

UncleFester

Flashaholic*,
[ QUOTE ]
mbs said:
interestingly enough, This is NOT military. It is Dillon in the Arizona Desert.

http://dillonprecision.com

The owner has taken upon himself to build 7.62 miniguns and mount then on vehicles and helicopters that he owns. I'm jealous.
http://dillonaero.com/

sigh,...

Myron

[/ QUOTE ]

If anyone has seen the Dillon video "Machine Gun Magic", I was there for part of the taping. That was when they only had one mini-gun. I helped make an electronic speed reducer for the mini-gun. We brought it down to 3K rounds per minute from the original 6K rounds per minute.
At full rock-n-roll, this thing makes a sound you simply can't believe. It sounds a little bit like a cross between a jet engine and creaking door hinge. The brass comes out of it so fast, it looks like it's being poured out of a bushel basket.

Bright Scouter

Enlightened
Since I can't get my hands on the real thing, I've seriously considered doing something similar with paintball markers (guns). There is a company called specail ops paintball that sells a kit to add to two Tippmann A5 paintball markers. It has a bracket to mount them side by side and add a rotary crank to move both triggers. It says it can fire 30 paintballs/second. Now I have an A5 and know it can probably easily do at least 10/sec, so I would bet at least 20 is reasonable. The A5's normal hopper holds about 200 paintballs, so you should be able to empty both of them in about 20 seconds of firing at top speed. I know it's not the real thing, but I could have fun with that next time we go "play in the woods"!