Lux output chart of LED lights

Quickbeam

Flashlight Enthusiast
Just thought you would all like to take a look at the lux outputs of various lights compared.

These are all lights I have reviewed. Chart recently updated. Please look at the page the chart comes from in order to put the LUX readings in perspective - this should not be used as your only criteria in choosing a light.

http://thelightsite.cruxial.com/reviews/lux_charts.htm

lux_chart_led.gif

Your mileage may vary.

4x4Dragon

Flashlight Enthusiast
Originally posted by Quickbeam:
Just thought you would all like to take a look at the lux outputs of various lights compared.

<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">Man I wish you had a Streamlight 4aa Pro Polymer to test. Im wondering how good it would do. Im really wondering how it do against the Inretech White with Alkalines(cause that's what my brother has).
Any opinions on the outcome of that contest or about where the Propolymer would land on that scale?

rlhess

Enlightened
The 4AA Pro Polymer lands in the 100 range, but it is very broad.

Doug's and my numbers agree reasonably:
My numbers splitting the difference with/without the reflector for the Septor are 80/40/25 with Doug's numbers at 93/46/21.

Here is my runtime chart for the 4AA Streamlight LED

http://www.richardhess.com/be/sl4aaled.gif

It starts off at 125. this is the one without the extra 2 ohm resistor.

Cheers,

Richard

brightnorm

Flashaholic
Originally posted by Quickbeam:
Just thought you would all like to take a look at the lux outputs of various lights compared......
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">Doug,

Thanks for that chart (and the time that went into compiling it!). I realize that it's a meaure of light intensity per unit area, but I'm not quite sure how I would use it to select a light. For example, the CMG reactor, with arbitrarily chosen Luxeons outscores the the big Inretech by almost 7 to 1.

Brightnorm

Quickbeam

Flashlight Enthusiast
"but I'm not quite sure how I would use it to select a light"

The chart is only a small portion of what someone should use to select a light. Lux output can be somewhat deceiving, depending on the use, or lack of use, of beam-narrowing optics. For example, which light is better:

lux_illustration2.gif

The top one obviously throws more light (like the InReTech Super 6 vs. a Streamlight Stylus!), but the bottom one would have a higher Lux reading on the meter....

The chart is provided just as a compilation of the beam center lux readings of the lights I've tested so that you can compare lights of similar type.

Comparing the Lux output reading of a Luxeon Star light with it's collimator lens, to a non-optically enhanced nichia light is like comparing apples and oranges.

More explanation of Lux readings here: http://thelightsite.cruxial.com/qa.htm#lumens

Use it as part of your overall decision making process, but don't depend upon it for a "be-all, end-all" description of which light is better/brighter.

BTW - I would LOVE to add more lights to this chart, but for the purposes of at least some semblance of accuracy in comparison, I would want to read them on my meter in case it is reading slightly different from other folks' meters...

The only one I could add is the Ill Pill that read 260 (!) at beam center (on my Mods pages).

Albany Tom

Enlightened
Wow. That's a lot of lights! Thanks for the info and the diagram.

You know, what would be interesting, would be the hotspot and area Lux values of a Tigerlight...

INRETECH

Flashlight Enthusiast
Your summary on the SUPER6 is correct; it doesn't appear to put out much light since it is a VERY wide angle floodlight

I think I would like to have you test the TRILIGHT (3x1w) and especially the HELIOS (3x5w), I think they would do well on the chart