PocketMateW owners : water resistance no problem

KevinL

Flashlight Enthusiast
Calling all PocketMate-W owners and the original creator.. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

As you know the PMW has a rheostat. Have any of you had issues with water entering through the rheostat hole? Since I effectively rolled my own, I didn't pay any special attention to sealing the rheostat hole, but I've recently noticed that the hex nut does not prevent water from entering.

I am thinking of a little bit of epoxy to seal the gap and the nut so that the light can be dunked safely.

modamag

Flashlight Enthusiast
Re: PocketMateW owners : water resistance a proble

The original PMW does not use the hex nut.
This and the length is the differentiator btw yours and hotbeam. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif
Most likely hotbeam epoxy the pot to the body interior.

Epoxy/RTV/hotglue from the inside will seal the gap.
Just don't epoxy the knob so it doesn't turn anymore /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

KevinL

Flashlight Enthusiast

Cool, thanks. My PMV wasn't seeing enough use so I decided to take it out and use it, that's when I thought of the issue. Will epoxy it up nicely tomorrow.

Now THAT'S what I call after-sales service too /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/happy14.gif

(modamag helped me build the PMV, for those not acquainted with the story)

KevinL

Flashlight Enthusiast

All done. At first I tried something similar to JB Weld, which is a metal sealing agent, but the darn thing wouldn't stick, caked up the thing so bad that the ring didn't screw down, so I decided to go back to my time-honored Loctite 5-minute two part stuff. Good thing the other agent didn't stick well and could be scraped off with a toothpick.

The Loctite works great, turns out I needed something with a little less viscosity so that it will flow into the cracks and threads. I let the glue cure for 90 minutes (even though it is a "5 minute" formula) dunked the light in the sink and played with the rheostat - no water got in, I opened it up afterwards and inspected the innards. Looks like it will be waterproof enough to use in a rainstorm, which was the initial objective. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

hotbeam

Flashlight Enthusiast

Hey KevinL

As Modamag mentioned, I carefully used epoxy on the inside making sure it did not get onto the rotating dial. If I have sealed it all the way round, it *should* be reasonably water tight /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

KevinL

Flashlight Enthusiast

I actually masked the pot while applying the first coat of that metal adhesive stuff on the outside. After aborting the attempt, I removed the masking, and forgot to put it back on during my enthusiasm of mixing and applying the new coat of Loctite. While I took care to avoid glueing the wrong things, I think a tiny drop managed to slip in.... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/oops.gif

However all's not lost, it was small enough that I managed to break it free just by turning the dial a little and there have been no problems since. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Thanks for all your help. Now I've got the confidence to take my PMV out and use it, as it was intended.