understanding MadMax circuit, why no resistor?

Data

Flashlight Enthusiast
When a MadMax is connected to a Lux3 is there a resistor in series with the LED or is it not needed? In the pictures I see on Wayne's site it looks to me that the Luxeon is connected directly to the Vout of the Max1674 chip. I am just trying to understand the basics of this circuit design. If I am getting this at all then the MadMax is voltage regulated to match the Vf of the LED? I am having a hard time understanding this?

andrewwynn

Flashlight Enthusiast
I think i read that the MM can be run 'wide open'.. it will output the max it can based on internal resistances, etc... things aren't all what they seem when you look at a driver.. my LDO driver the anode of the emitter is directly connected to the battery /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

-awr

Data

Flashlight Enthusiast
Andrew

Isn't that the truth. And after the several days it has taken me to decide the MadMax is what I need, it now looks like they are hard to find with the pot on them. Wayne said he would look for some old ones. He has not gotten back to me. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/icon23.gif I put a WTB in the BST for some too.

I guess I will have to switch over to a current regulated driver. That complicates things for me because the LED laser module I want to drive is speced via voltage not current. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/thinking.gif