Melted my first lens

oklalawman

Enlightened
I have been using the small head stinger with five megas battery afapter, li-ion batteries and the ca 1399 bulb. I like it for it small size and lots of light. The other night I was out on a call that was a lot longer than my normal usage. I had it on constant for probably a good 25 to 35 minutes. The head was getting warm/hot to the touch.
Today whe I got up to go back to work I looked down and the lens is warped distorted. I just wish we could put a glass
lens into it. But the local police dealer only charges $1
to change them out. 3 or 4 dollars a year is worth it, /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

dougmccoy

Enlightened
Man your so lucky, My stinger got a cracked lens (five year old son?)I had to send it off to have it fixed which meant a whole new head assembly as they didn't have the tool and I didn't want to wait for ages for a new lens to be sent over from the states, etc, etc. I've actually bought another new head assembly to keep as a spare because getting parts is so difficult over here!

Doug

Lurveleven

Flashlight Enthusiast
What was the ambient temperature?

I use the CA1499 with the HP head and it appears to be cooler than a TL3 in a normal Stinger head. I haven't done any long runtime test on either to see if the lens warps, but I think the lens will survive much longer in the HP head. The throw is much better with the HP head as well.

Sigbjoern

Lurveleven

Flashlight Enthusiast
CA bulbs are bulbs made by Carley Lamps:
http://www.carleylamps.com/

I don't think you will find the 1499 on their web page, I think it is specially built.
I bought mine from Fivemega when I bought my Stinger adapter, but he has no more as far as I know of. It has also appeared in previous group buys. I also remember Light-Edge considering stocking them, time will tell if that will happen, but it would be great if it happened.

Sigbjoern

vhyper007

Enlightened
thanks, Lurveleven.

I am plodding about whilst trying a mod or two myself.

It's funny that before I began reading this forum I considered a mod to be changing the batteries.

Regards,
vhyper

Lurveleven

Flashlight Enthusiast
vhyper, good luck with the modding, I'm quite sure you will be pleased with the results. Keep an eye on what Fivemega comes up with.

Brightnorm, where did you get you 1499s? I got mine from Fivemega and the leads on them has the same thickness as the Ultrastinger and TL3 leads.

Sigbjoern