Nuwai QIII Runtime with Protrcted R123 ???

ViReN

Flashlight Enthusiast
I tried to use the Search Feature... but was unable to get any good information.

I am looking for a Relative Runtime Graph for Nuwai QIII with Standard CR123's and with RCR123's (Protected Ones)

Any Ideas/links will be greatly helpful...

thanks in advance

luminaria

Newly Enlightened
For RCR123 protected and unprotected you can get raw runtimes (no charts) from this thread

In this post there is a runtime graph that has data for unmodded Q3's with R123 and CR123 batteries.

chevrofreak

Flashlight Enthusiast
I get 37-39 minutes with my modified Q3 (TW0J +heatsinking) on JSB 4.2 R123's

The light draws about 1.15 amps and should be direct drive off the cells so that number seems about right for a 625mAh cell.

ViReN

Flashlight Enthusiast
Great Info Guys... thanks a lot

Freedom1955 ... unmodded means the step up circuit is there and you have not changed any thing (not even the LED) right ?.... it shows a good runtime .. comparitively

i am looking for a chart... some kind... like
Lux v/s Std Unmodified QIII with Standard 123
Lux v/s Std Unmodified QIII with Protected R123
Lux v/s DD LIII TWOJ / TWOK with Protected R123

Such a kind of graph will enable users to guage the things properly..

ViReN

Flashlight Enthusiast
I Found It /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif .. just a few seconds before...

[ QUOTE ]
cgpeanut said:
Here's a Q3 runtime chart DJ made a while back.

pop2-q3-burst.gif

1) The RED is unmodded Q3 with R123 and BLUE is unmodded Q3 with CR123. In any combination of Luxeon bin with TPS73201(450mA) is brighter than Q3 + CR123 and also more consistent brightness.

2) CYAN lines are p-fet burst (=DD). On low Vf Luxeon with fresh charged R123, it is much brighter than LDO, but not long, less than a minute or so.

3) The jumping up of the brightness indicates the LDO going out of constant current regulation. From this point, it just give everything. the LDO has suppressed down the current by eating up the voltage while on regulation. If regulation goes off early, we get more light. That means we are actually wasting some potential light output by burning it as heat in LDO.

Using a TPS73201 to get 450mA current, it requires 3.55V-3.7V plus 0.1V by LDO. So high Vf bin will go off regulation early and low Vf bin will go on regulation through out the time.

Here's the kicker!

For balanced runtime, regulation, output, a dual TPS73xxx is recomended for which the board was specifically made this requires two LDO chips AND provides protection to the lux. Basically, it uses the 2nd LDO to flash the lux into burst mode.

This is good, because it ensures that the current to the luxeon is controlled not going over certain limit and good for the luxeon's health. Another interesting thing is the brighter light output with higher Vf Luxeon such as SY0K brighter than TX1J. I don't know why maybe someone can explain.

To recap the point, higher Vf bin will give brighter light output as long as the Vf is still lower than nominal battery voltage.

Here's the other kicker!

For thise wanting the brightest "Burst Mode" but sacrificing the health of the lux consider a single LDO only version but higher Vf bin will have to be used for brighter light as long as it is still within the regulation voltage range.

A p-fet will be used to drive the lux into burst mode letting it absorb as much current as it can. DJ placed a timer in it so it won;t hurt the lux too much.

This can be offered with minimal customization of the pcb board. Let me know so I can make the changes. Now that we determined who get the sammie versus Q3 let's tackle this, runtime vs brightness issue.

[/ QUOTE ]

Hope this will help others too...

Freedom1955

Enlightened
[ QUOTE ]
ViReN said:
Great Info Guys... thanks a lot

Freedom1955 ... unmodded means the step up circuit is there and you have not changed any thing (not even the LED) right ?.... it shows a good runtime .. comparitively

[/ QUOTE ]

Correct, I have not done a thing to my Q3. It's a heck of a EDC light for the money! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

Owen

Flashlight Enthusiast
I got exactly 45 minutes on my stock Q3 from batterystation's R123 when I checked it for runtime.

emrbrtn

Enlightened
28 mins? Wow, thats pretty low... What kind of a star you got in there?