USL Field Test Thread, Pt 4

Status
Not open for further replies.

nethiker

Enlightened
Great work and very generous Larry. I'm fairly new around here, but this must be one of the greatest colaborations on a light.

All you guys exemplify the best of CPF; the selfless pursuit of the best flashlights have to offer and a willingness to share your enthusiasm, knowledge, and creations with others all over the world.

I'm really torn between the need for Larry's safety and the desire to keep the "S" in USL. I think the integrated metal safety looks cool and actually adds to the overall appearence of the light, both form and function you could say. Larry's design says that there is more than meets the eye here, something potentially dangerous, something serious deserving of respect and caution.

My best thought on the safety issue in terms of a removable safety is to take a rubber eye cup to the dentist with my USL. Lay a velcro strap across the cup and ask the dentist to fill it with that stuff they use to take a mold of your teeth, and mold it to the switch in the off position. Strapped in place, this should secure the light.

So...what to do? What do you guys think of the "dental cap"? How much time do we have to decide? Larry's safety is certiainly the more elegant solution that gives the whole light a certain edge. I think I'm leaning that direction, especially since it looks like it has become an integrated part of this whole project. While I want an ultimate STEALTH light, I also want the light as you guys envision it should be. This is your baby and I am grateful that you have included me in this whole project.

Greg

Codeman

Flashlight Enthusiast
/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/goodjob.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/thanks.gif

That's an interesting idea about a "dental cap", and a definite improvement on my scope cover idea. From my attempts at a similar approach, using a cutdown film canister and a Butler Creek Bikini scope cover, I learned something that may impact your idea.

If the strap isn't so tight that it's almost impossible to remove, it may be more easily knocked off than you'd expect. It took a lot of "strap force" with the Bikini for it to stay put. I'm sure your's would stay on with less force than my attempt, but would it be enough?

It's a good concept, though, and that's what makes CPF such a fun place. Creative thinking outside of the box!

Paul_DW

Enlightened
USL Field Test Thread, Pt 4

YEAH!!!!!!!! ........ bring it baby!

Sorry, just a lil over excited at the thought of more pic's /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

popcorn.gif

js

Flashlight Enthusiast
Just wanted to mention one more time, that putting two or three wraps of masking-type tape around the switch and body will lock it down into the off (or "on", if you prefer /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/evilgrin07.gif ) position. I did this when shipping the proto-type to Bill, as well as removing the lamp, and I tested it and I could not force the switch on with any reasonable amount of force (which is as far as I dared go, for fear of breaking the switch itself).

While this is far less elegant than any of the other solutions out there, it is cheap, and it is VERY secure, --for those of you who want to maintain the stealth aspect of the USL, but who still want a way to secure the light in the off position for certain times.

As you were. (Great pics, Larry. I really love that guard. Really. I couldn't imagine a better one. Very classy)

bwaites

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have been home with a mild pneumonia for the past couple of days.

I plan on writing the switch thread and the safety thread as soon as I can think clearly enough to remember all the things that need to go in it!

Jim is correct about the tape, and I have found that white medical tape works even better than masking tape, but I genuinely like the idea of the safety as designed by Larry.

For those of you intent on maintaining the stealth aspect of the light, simply rolling the cover into your palm will obscure it more than enough to make it appear stock, but I do understand your desire!

Bill

CroMAGnet

Flashlight Enthusiast
[ QUOTE ]
bwaites said:
For those of you intent on maintaining the stealth aspect of the light, simply rolling the cover into your palm will obscure it more than enough to make it appear stock, but I do understand your desire!

Bill

[/ QUOTE ]

It is the ULTIMATE STEALTH light afterall, being kewlness factor. Drink lots of liquids and vitamins, chicken soup is nawt just for the soul. Hope you get better Bill.

mst3k

Enlightened
Just a thought here. How bout the same Idea as the pin thru the side but instead of a pin, a cover over half of the switch with a tapped hole that you could screw in a knurled thumb screw to hold the switch in the off position.

I like the pin, Im just bored /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

brightnorm

Flashaholic
[ QUOTE ]
tvodrd said:
Brightnorm,

You're planning on EDCing one of these things?!....

[/ QUOTE ]

Nope, EODC*

(every other day carry) /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Bill, I hope you feel better soon; UHSLB* is more important than USL

*(Ultra healthy Stealth Light Builder)

Brightnorm

MikeF

Enlightened
[ QUOTE ]
nethiker said:
My best thought on the safety issue in terms of a removable safety is to take a rubber eye cup to the dentist with my USL. Lay a velcro strap across the cup and ask the dentist to fill it with that stuff they use to take a mold of your teeth, and mold it to the switch in the off position. Strapped in place, this should secure the light.
Greg

[/ QUOTE ]

Rather than a dental applience as the basis for a safety cap, what about using Fimo Polymer Clay to form a safety cap? Fimo is a synthetic clay that can be shaped, and then heated to a very durable hardened form in the oven. It comes in many colors, and it might be possible to combine a Fimo Safety cap with a velcro cinch strap for a secure device for transporting the USL safely.

Paul_DW

Enlightened
Well as I have no USL to post pics of, or beam shots from, I am due a silly pic being Pt4 ...lol.

Ok, with all the talk of safety switches for the USL, to make safer and also to stop little children burning mummy's best curtains with it, I figured this is the best way to keep the USL safe, and am proud to post a picture of my idea!

I am just a tad worried it might get scratched a little ?!

tiger-usl.jpg

Codeman

Flashlight Enthusiast
Well, Paul, that's the best justification for spending the money for HAIII that I've seen!

I'm in deep doo-doo when the contest comes around. That's a great photo, even before the USLification! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/bowdown.gif

Hey, Bill, why don't you make Paul the judge? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/evilgrin07.gif

MaxaBaker

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hi, I just want to know how much this Mag85 killer costs. Is the price released yet? Sorry if it has and I missed it. Thanks /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/blush.gif

Codeman

Flashlight Enthusiast
My camera is back and it was an absolutely gorgeous day, so here's a quicky (not very good) I took of the mighty USL.

1128-USL1-Mighty.png

Time to get out my manual and refresh myself on the menus...where did aperture-priority mode go, me wonders...

Psychomodo

Enlightened
[ QUOTE ]
Paul_DW said:
Well as I have no USL to post pics of, or beam shots from, I am due a silly pic being Pt4 ...lol.

Ok, with all the talk of safety switches for the USL, to make safer and also to stop little children burning mummy's best curtains with it, I figured this is the best way to keep the USL safe, and am proud to post a picture of my idea!

I am just a tad worried it might get scratched a little ?!

tiger-usl.jpg

[/ QUOTE ]

I thought this was a picture of a new Tigerlite! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Fat_Tony

Enlightened
[ QUOTE ]
brightnorm said:
Bill, I hope you feel better soon; UHSLB* is more important than USL

*(Ultra healthy Stealth Light Builder)

Brightnorm

[/ QUOTE ]

Bill, I agree with Norm. Get well soon!! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

bwaites

Flashlight Enthusiast
Well,

Modamag informs me that the boring is done!

I received 160 bulbs today, still pending 90, but this gets the build started as soon as we have batteries.

What we have:
Bodies and boring
Lenses
Sockets
Cans to mount sockets
switches
Bulbs

What we need still:
Reflectors
Batteries
Machining for switch opening (and safety for those desiring)
Tritons (ordered as soon as I have an assembly date for cells, I don't need all these extra boxes hanging around)
CG-340's (Same as above, but will be ordered sooner as js needs some)

Bill

Status
Not open for further replies.