Cleaning Surefire Flashlights

MeLLoJeLLo

Newly Enlightened
I was wondering... Is there a efficient way to clean (or at least remove dust/sand/mud particle on:

1- The lens (ex: at the junction of the bezel and the Pyrex lens)

2- At the tailcap? There is 4 tiny holes around the rubber cap where dust is (already!) collecting after just 1 week of usage around the house. I can't imagine when I'm gonna go camping! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Thanks!

JSWrightOC

Enlightened
All current SureFire products are waterproof to 10 meters (approx. 33 feet) and you can immerse the light under running water, and gently clean with a soft bristle brush, if you have heavy contamination. I would follow up with a soft low-lint cloth on the lens and body, and maybe some canned air (dusting gas - commonly used on computer equipment) to remove any residual moisture. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cool.gif

IsaacHayes

Flashlight Enthusiast
Yeah, as NikolaTesla said stay away from heavy alkaline cleaners, it will remove the HAIII!

jtice

Flashaholic
JS is right also, I ussually wash them in the sink with dish soap, and a tooth brush.

and, yea, no Ajax /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

Pydpiper

Flashlight Enthusiast
I second the toothbrush and dish soap technique, only I have a larger brush that stays by the sink for this purpose, wife is far from impressed, but my lights are always clean. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

leukos

Flashlight Enthusiast
I just want to throw in here that a tooth pick can be really useful cleaning the threads and other hard to reach places that you won't want to use water. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cool.gif

PaulW

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have on occasion taken my L4 into the shower with me.

I started that after the L4 o-rings scare. Remember that? The lights would not pass the bubble test (blowing through the light into a glass of water). After I got my replacement L4 head, and it then passed the bubble test, I couldn't resist showering with it. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Paul

zespectre

Flashlight Enthusiast
[ QUOTE ]
PaulW said:
I have on occasion taken my L4 into the shower with me.

[/ QUOTE ]

Kinky <grin>

MeLLoJeLLo

Newly Enlightened
Ok, I guess I'll do the Glass Of Water test and it's then, party time in the shower with me, my flashlight and my old toothbrush. It's gonna be wild. *chuckle*

chmsam

Flashlight Enthusiast
On the outside of a light, use cotton swabs, a drop or two of dish soap in a cup of water, a pre-washed shop rag that has never been used on anything else, and a toothpick or two. See if you can find a soft baby's/infant's toothbrush (much softer). Also, a small paint brush used for fine detail or lettering works great for getting dust out of tough areas.

For electrical contacts, use spray contact cleaner, a soft rubber pencil eraser, or an extra fine emory board (steal one from your wife or girlfriend).

For glass/pyrex or lexan, lens cleaning solution and a well worn, well washed cotton cloth or a lens chamois. Never, ever use anything made from paper on a lens!

For reflectors, DON'T! Never touch or rub a reflector. Be careful of using compressed air/air in a can -- the propellants or additives can ruin the coating on a reflector. As a last resort, try a camera lens brush with a squeeze blower.

If I were to use any cleaning powder, I'd try Bon Ami mixed with a lot more water than you think you need. And even then I'd first try it in a small spot that you're not as liable to notice. I've even used Bon Ami to clean road grime off of a windshield -- it won't scratch glass if used according to directions.