LED VS Incandescent re: Flux, Lux & Temperture

cy

Flashaholic
LED VS Incandescent re: Flux, Lux & Temperture/color

Let's define Flux as lumens out front end, Lux as intensity of beam and temperture as color or tint of beam.

thanks to Don for pointing out Flux VS Lux combined with temperture of light issue in another thread here

When one gets exposed to LED lights that are in Surefire M6 Lola class output. At that starting point, one can start to eliminate Flux comparison issues.

What has been pointed before, but not highlighted is throw without Flux only gives you a tiny spot of light on a far away target. Petty worthless IMHO.

I'll get flamed for this, but my experience indicates a 5watt equiped with correct reflector will throw equal to a 3watt, but with greater flux. There is no subsitute for horsepower!

to get to Surefire M6 Lola levels of lumens with LED. One can either drive one overachieving Xbin at 1.5amps levels or use at min a tri-lux (Ubins) at 1amp per lux.

One Xbin 5watt with say 2in reflector will outthrow three SO20 reflectors over Ubins. Flux output will both be simular.

temperture or color of light allowing one to overcome ambient light is personal preferance. When enough flux is delivered to target, I perfer more nutral color of LED VS incand. I can always see better with LED.

I've heard from most folks they can see better with incand. Have always wondered if this is due to flux delivered VS temperture. As it's easy to get 250+ lumen incand VS pretty hard to get 250+ lumen LED.

your thoughts....

kakster

Flashlight Enthusiast
Re: LED VS Incandescent re: Flux, Lux & Tempertur

I dont think there are LEDs that can equal the output of a Surefire 250 lumen lamp(yet). My eyeball comparisons tell me that a good X bin, while rated at 190-250 lumens, will only make perhaps 150 lumens in real-world applications.

Something else i've also noticed , is that an object illuminated by an incan seems to "glow" with the yellow/red typical of hotwire lamps, making the object easier to see. LEDs on the other hand, while making a seemingly more natural colour light, does not "light up" a target as well. It's also a high contrast light source, making for some very dark shadows which further distorts the view.

Dont get me wrong, i love my LED lights, and its LEDs i choose everytime for my EDC. But they still need a little work before they can truly replace incans.

cy

Flashaholic

MRX-X3T & Surefire M6 Lola doing a simple integrating ceiling tests indicates MRX puts out just a crack more lumens.

There are several multi-luxeon lights that exceed 250 lumens out the front end.

only way to know for sure is with integrating sphere.

js

Flashlight Enthusiast

cy,

Interesting topic. Glad you brought it up. I don't have a lot of knowledge of or experience with LED's, but I have enough to know that I much prefer the light from a good incandescent to the light from LED's, and it is NOT an issue of greater lumens from the incan.

An example: I have both a SF A2 and L2 in my possession at the moment, and the L2 puts out more lumens, but even so, I much prefer the light from the A2. To be clear, I am NOT saying that it is objectively better and that everyone should feel the same as I do. All I am saying is that I personally prefer the light from a high CCT incandescent, such as the SF A2 or M6 or TL.

And this was not a prejudice. I actually started out with LED lights, but just found that I prefered the light from incans, and I eventually even switched over my EDC to an incan. Crazy, I guess. But hey, none of us hotwire guys are quite right in the head. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/nana.gif