• Rechargeables in Nuwai flashlights

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Rechargables in Nuwai Flashlights

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

Geramie

Newly Enlightened
Hi,
I'm new at this forum stuff so please bare with me. I was wondering if anyone knew if it would be safe to use rechargeable lir123 batteries (3.6v) with the Nuwai
TM301x-5 and the Nuwai TM116x 5 watt flashlights. I took a chance using the rechargeables in my Nuwai q3 3 watt flashlight and it worked without any problems. I used the same batteries in an Ombu x-55 5 watt flashlight and it's intensity dropped to half and started emitting a burning smell. I tried changing the batteries and it is still at half the intensity so I guess the flashlight got fried. Any info would be appreciated.

Thanks,
Geramie

Jefff

Enlightened
looks like you asked the same question twice on your poll .. ??? I use the r123's in mine and it works great.. even at 4.0 volts hot off the charger .. but I have a TWOJ bin led and not the stock one.. so Im not sure what ones are good with the higher voltage and what ones arn't but it does sound like ya fried something.. not to worry though you came to the right place to find a better replacement luxeon star to go back in with whiter and brighter output .. try doing a search for Q-III and reading about the mods and tricks with them .. they are very neat little lights and lots of mods for them ..
Jeff
BTW
491jh.gif
to CPF as some will say hold onto your wallet /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

Geramie

Newly Enlightened
Hi Jeff,

I don't now how I posted the same question twice. I must have double tapped something. Anyway, were you referring to your Q3 when using rechargeables or were you referring to the TM301x-5 or the TM116x?

Thanks again,
Geramie

HaulinLow

Newly Enlightened
I don't know the anwer to your question, I just wanted to express my sympathy over your Ombu. I hope you can bring her back to life.

Welcome to CPF!

Geologist

Enlightened
[ QUOTE ]
Geramie said:
please bare with me

[/ QUOTE ]
I am not sure if this is THAT kind of forum /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif
I'm staying clothed (at least for now...) /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

twentysixtwo

Enlightened
I have a TWOJ in my Q3 and I run R123's.

It gets fairly hot, even with additional heatsinking.

My guess is if you stay with a "K" Vf, R123 should be fine, if you want to run a "J" Vf with R123, you will want to either limit your on time to 5 minutes at a time or put an extra sink behind the star.

NetMage

Enlightened
Your Ombu probably had the same problem as my q3 "mother" and someone else's Ombu.

If you open it up, you'll find a resistor you de-soldered or burned (too much heat) underneath the LED. Replacing it will restore the light to original (poor) design.

Jefff

Enlightened
Sorry my bad just re read the post .. it was early/Late for me /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif
Yeah I was refering to My Q-III running R123's shan 650 vr123a's to be exact.. it does get pretty warm .. I have bumped up the heat sinking with artic silver heat sink paste to help pull the heat away and into the body of the light.. I also limit it to around 10 mins constant on so far .. usually short burst is all I require

Geramie

Newly Enlightened
Thanks for all the input. I might be able to get a replacement for my Ombu through the distributor. As for the other nuwai flashlights that I own.... I'll probably stick to the non rechargeables.

Geramie

Newly Enlightened
Hi,
I'm sorry for the late reply. I haven't been on since the first couple of days after I posted my question. I purchased the TM301x-5 through Ebay from the same person you contacted in Canada. Heres the address for the exact auction from where I won it from. I got a good price for it at $61.00.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=16037&item=5201922665

Just to let you know. The TM301x-5 can handle the r123's and it's light output is about 15% brighter than using the lithium ions. The OMBU x-55 that I had blew out with the r123's but I was lucky that the distributor was able to have it repaired for me. Once again, sorry for such a late reply.

Take care,
Geramie

aceo07

Enlightened
I burned the resistor in my Nuwai 301X-3. I'm still looking for a replacement. Radioshack nearby didn't have it. It seems to be a 2ohms resistor unless I've reading the colors wrong.

[ QUOTE ]
NetMage said:
Your Ombu probably had the same problem as my q3 "mother" and someone else's Ombu.

If you open it up, you'll find a resistor you de-soldered or burned (too much heat) underneath the LED. Replacing it will restore the light to original (poor) design.

[/ QUOTE ]

Geramie

Newly Enlightened
Netmage,
Good luck on the resistor. I haven't really modded any flaslights except for buying extensions or adaptors for their bodies. However, if you acquire a TM301x-5 they can handle the r123's.

Take care,
Geramie