just 3 little led flashlights... (w/3 pics)

nemul

Flashlight Enthusiast
Dorcy MJLED(cut) - Solitaire 3x26K - Dorcy 26K
pic0093ij.jpg

pic0128en.jpg

pic0140io.jpg

that MJLED looks like it pwns but it really doesn't.
just better side spill...

Bradlee

Enlightened
The beam looks really nice with the MJLED. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/happy14.gif

Bullzeyebill, the Dorcy reflectors (unless I am mistaken) are the stock ones.

nemul

Flashlight Enthusiast
Vin: i'm using a 12v battery with a spacer, the LED's are in a series.

bullz: Yes, it's stock reflectors.

boosted

Newly Enlightened
12v battery? I was hoping a step up converter of some sort. What kind of battery will give you 12v at aaa size?

nemul

Flashlight Enthusiast
it's a 23a battery the runtime is fair. brightness drops off fast. (next step is some sort of regulator circuit)
as for the led's.. i had to shape them to fit.

magled8nt.gif

boosted

Newly Enlightened
[ QUOTE ]
nemul said:
it's a 23a battery the runtime is fair. brightness drops off fast. (next step is some sort of regulator circuit)

[/ QUOTE ]

Did you get a chance to fit that regulator in your solitaire yet? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif My 26k led just arrived, and I want to try the same mod.

nemul

Flashlight Enthusiast
no, not yet... i think i could make a dorcy 1AAA fit, but 12v might be too much for it...

voodoogreg

Flashlight Enthusiast
The battery is a the MN21/23. It's internal resistence is enough to not kill the LED to much. I did that mod on several soli's. I have switched to AW's 3.7 li ion AAA. easier to deal with, way longer runtime, no spring or tiny batt, plus rechargeable.

both setup's do take a toll on the 26K as was pointed out on the "head to head" thread. I intend to get some of the new nichias and see how they do. the AW AAA li batt comes off the charger at 4.2 roughly, which is not much more then
what is needed to run a 5mm LED. So i am not sure why the 26k is dying so quick.
But i know next to nothing about electronic's so
Im not a good detective to figure it out. Be glad for some
knowledge why, and best 5mm to use though.VDG

boosted

Newly Enlightened
[ QUOTE ]
nemul said:

magled8nt.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Sorry to bring this back again, it looks like the leds are DD correct? I never thought it would be a problem, but in a few thread that I've read, some suggest a resister inline with the leds to limit the current. Why is the resister needed at all? Doesn't the led draw whatever current it needs from the battery?

nemul

Flashlight Enthusiast
i think it pulls whatever volts it need but the current needs to have a resistor.