Alternat method for comparing brightness of lights

JimH

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have a friend at work that I'm trying to turn into a flashaholic. Whenever I bring in new lights to show him he always wants to compare them to see which is the brightest (he is not).

His method is to shine the lights in his eyes, and the one that hurts the most is the brightest. He minimizes the effect of his eyes adjusting to the light by checking them in rapid succession, repeatedly, until he can't see anymore.
flashed.gif

Just thought people here might get a kick out of his method.

Lynx_Arc

Flashaholic
Re: Alternat method for comparing brightness of li

tell him to look in a mirror and shine the light in his ear and see if light comes out the other side, or just looks like a batman symbol on the opposite wall.

jtice

Flashaholic

......... LOLOLOLOLOL

Does he think his lights get dimmer as time goes on? ..... cuz hes going BLIND ! wth

I use a light meter for lux, and the ceiling bounce test for lumens.

mtbkndad

Flashlight Enthusiast

He actually could damage his eyes over time. A good low tech way to tell which light is brighter is to turn both lights on at the same time and shine them in exactly the same spot, preferably on a white wall, even now do not look too directly at the hotspot or have him stand far enough away for it not be to blinding . Then, while they are both still on, move the beams so they are side by side. By getting your eyes adjusted to the combined beam, when you separate the beams the difference betweeen them is much more noticeable.

I do not know if anybody else has tried this before, but it does work well when you do not have access to a light meter. If you have your friend do this it will keep him from blinding himself if you show up to work with a 15 MCP Thor, a Maxabeam, and an X990 and ask him which one is the brightest.

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink2.gif

js

Flashlight Enthusiast

LOL! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/crackup.gif

You're right, I did get a kick out of this.

tvodrd

*Flashaholic* ,

Whatever you do, Jim, don't hand him 2 loaded pistols! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/icon15.gif

Larry