TW4

powernoodle

Flashlight Enthusiast
Its a Surefire KL4 head on a E1e (or similar 1x123) body. Very cool little combination. I think that Tactical Warehouse sold this configuration for a while (thus the name; TW + KL4 = TW4). Now folks make their own. Somebody tell me if I'm missing something.

Fl003.jpg

TW4, 3rd from right.

best regards

Flashdark

Enlightened
powernoodle,

You are correct. Most of the KL-4 heads work on one 123 battery - some do not as a result of the restricting Vf voltage requirements. Luck of the LED draw. Great little light. 50 to 100% brighter than the KL-1 head. Run time before it dims to KL-1 head brightness about 30-40 minutes in my experience. Short duration combo but impressively bright. Hope this helps.

powernoodle

Flashlight Enthusiast
This is a little OT, but Cy advised me yesterday that the KL4 should run on a RCR2 as well, making the thing even shorter. So I've ordered an Aleph CR2 body and FT tail to give her a spin. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/happy14.gif

best regards

AFAustin

Flashlight Enthusiast
Powernoodle, thanks for the info and pics.

Flashdark, isn't KL4 head for flood and KL1 (4th gen.) for throw? How do you compare them re "brightness"?

ACMarina

Flashlight Enthusiast
With a meter, I'd guess.

Somebody will correct me if I'm wrong, but I think as far as overall light being produced, the KL4 wins. It just doesn't throw the light as far as the KL1.

Owen

Flashlight Enthusiast
I bought an original TW4 and they were supposedly handpicked for low Vf, since they were going to be used on one cell bodies.
I just did a runtime test on mine yesterday with a Batterystation R123. 30 minutes in regulation, with another ten of diminishing brightness(maybe 5 minutes to get down to Arc AAA-P brightness, and less output for the remaining 5). That's actually a couple minutes more runtime than I get on a Longbow mod with a Wizard2@937mA on a TYOH.
Not too shabby, IMO. First time I've seen a moon mode with R123s, normally the protection circuit kicks them out while still in regulation, but the KL4 undoubtedly dropped out of regulation and went DD for a bit before the battery pooped out.

glock_nor_cal

Enlightened
I'm confused about this. My KL4 runs on and E1E body with a regular SF123 pretty darn well. A bit dimmer then my L4, but not a huge amount.
If i use a rechargable 123 cell, is it supposed to be brighter and regulated? I'm not understanding.
Thanks

powernoodle

Flashlight Enthusiast
I think that the R123 is higher voltage, which keeps the KL4 running in regulation. When the battery voltage diminishes, the light drops out of regulation and into direct drive. With the SF123, you may be in DD from the outset.

Owen

Flashlight Enthusiast
Exactly. It is never in regulation with a regular 123, but a 3.6v nominal R123 (actually charges up to 4.2v), is like running it off a Pila, except with a much shorter runtime.

glock_nor_cal

Enlightened
so youre saying with a rechargable 123 battery it will run at the same brightness of 2 sf 123 cells? thats pretty amazing. How long does it last in regulation before it dies?

Owen

Flashlight Enthusiast
Mine made it 30 minutes, which was more than I expected. You've got SF L4/Pila 168S as your sig...it's the same thing just with less runtime because of the smaller battery's lower capacity (1400mAh for the 168S, 750mAh for the Batterystation R123).