microsoft patents emoticons

loalight

Enlightened
absurd, along with so many other software patents.

as long as M$ keeps doing this, I won't be shedding too may tears when my users aren't fully licensed.

The_LED_Museum

*Retired*
What a bunch of horse puckey. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/jpshakehead.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/sick2.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/jpshakehead.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif

drizzle

Enlightened
If I read this right this is M$ sinking to new lows.

Even if you make your own custom emoticon, they are patenting how you transmit it. Sucketh.

idleprocess

Flashaholic
Microsoft patenting something that uses a portable network graphics file? .PNG is open-source, and thus evil per Redmond...

Cmoore

Enlightened
Q: How many Microsoft engineers does it take to change a light bulb?

A: None, they just declare dark a new standard!

Not all that bad for us flashaholics I guess...

nexro

Enlightened
Hmm, I guess we will send emoticons in .jpg format soon /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/sick2.gif

evanlocc

Enlightened
May be we gonna recast out vote soon.

"An apple a day, keep the doctor away!"

^_^ <- Sorry M$ that was a Keyboard Icon.

Empath

Flashaholic
I may need to go back an reread it, since I just skimmed it; but I wasn't seeing a patent for emoticons. What it looked like was a patent for a means of making graphical emoticons standard in emails or whatever, that would automatically appear whenever someone used the text emoticons. If you typed a colon, followed by a right parenthesis, then it would automatically become something like a /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif . It already does it for things like forum software, but this would extend to text email and other text files. The idea isn't new particularly, but the reading of a couple of ascii values being interpreted as such by your OS isn't yet being done.

Sigman

* The Arctic Moderator *
WOW! Why didn't we do that! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

d'mo - are you going to patent air itself or the process of inhalation, exhalation, or flatulation? This could get complicated?! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Trashman

Flashlight Enthusiast
I think I'll patent pubes. That way, anybody that's got 'em's gonna have to license the little suckers from me.

I hope this post isn't out of line, it just struck me as being a funny thing to say.

Sigman

* The Arctic Moderator *
Ok...I'm guilty as the rest for taking this off topic...maybe we can all control ourselves now and "get back on the road"? Thanks!

The_LED_Museum

*Retired*
As the "Comic Book Guy" on The Simpsons said, "There's no emoticon for what I'm feeling right now". /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/jpshakehead.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/jpshakehead.gif

gadget_lover

Flashaholic
As I read the patent, it appears to be the technique for transcribing a graphic to text and back to a graphic again. It won't hold up, since I remember in the old days (1980s') there were BBS programs that did basically the same thing. Called them avatars. Prior art, you know.

I'm sure that MS is wanting to allow their cell phones and IM products to send custom emoticons that are usable only when communicating with other MS products.

Daniel