peta watt laser

comozo

Enlightened
Several questions come to mind.
Can I burn stuff with it?
Do you think the led method of power measurement will work?
Just want to make sure it really is a peta watt laser.
Will I be able to see the beam?
How many AAA batteries does it use?
link

LaserFreak

Enlightened
"Pulse recompression takes place in a vacuum because by this time, the laser is too intense to pass through any material (including air) without causing damage."

That would tell me right there that I wouldn't want to be getting any part of my body in the beam of that laser unless I wanted a new hole........ /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

I'm sure if this were to sell on ebay it would be worth a lot of money. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/broke.gif

kongfuchicken

Flashlight Enthusiast
10^15 Watts... That's a lot of... watts!
So yeah! it becomes increasingly clear that this thing will have a hard time fitting in your jeans.

x-ray

Flashlight Enthusiast
/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/paypal.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Bond007

Newly Enlightened
Perhaps we could burn through bin liners with this one too /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif.

HarryN

Flashlight Enthusiast
I toured that facility when the program was active. Pretty amazing. What is not mentioned in the article is that in addition to the beam stretching techniques used, they also used frequency doubling / halving crystals to allow for maniputlating the beam through the amplifiers.

Optical alignment of the system (for each shot) took at least a day, and for some reason, I am thinking more like 1 week.

As far as power requirements, the lab has its own power lines, as the power companies that supply power to (the entire state of)CA do not have nearly enough capacity.

LaserFreak

Enlightened
[ QUOTE ]
HarryN said:

As far as power requirements, the lab has its own power lines, as the power companies that supply power to (the entire state of)CA do not have nearly enough capacity.

[/ QUOTE ]

So I guess this means we won't be running this thing off a pair of AA's huh? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif lmao