G&P Luxeon III LED P60 (Surefire) drop-in for G2

LEDmaglite

Newly Enlightened
I would like to hear some feedback from others that have tried this LED.

http://www.flashlightreviews.com/reviews/gp_p60lux3.htm

I'm looking at putting one in a surefire G2 for a work light.

I have a old style G2 and see surefire now has the G2 with a LOTC. I have one of the new G2's on order and I'm really close to ordering a LED drop-in for it now.

Are they any good?

dougmccoy

Enlightened
Re: G&P Luxeon III LED P60 (Surefire) drop-in for

I have a G2 and a G2z, both with the Lux 3 LED modules installed in. For my money they make both the above lights into solid workhorses and IMHO are more than worth the investment. Runtime is increased by about 100% with the LED's down to approximately 50% output after 2 hours. They may produce light for up to 4 hours but as I never like using my lights at less than 50% I have no experience of this. In both my examples the beam/tint and colour are top notch. Compared to the incandescent lamps the output appears to be approximately 40-50% down but is compensated by the increased runtime and the fact that you are unlikely to replace the LED module due to failure.

In use the heat from the LED module is well below the temperature that the P60 lamps produce and although the bezels become very warm they dont get as hot as the incandescent lamps. With a beam diffuser the above lights both become hand held flood lights.

Providing you dont get a dud (and if you do they will probably die in the first few minutes of use)then I think you will be very happy with this module.

Doug

LEDmaglite

Newly Enlightened

Doug,
You talked me into it, /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif
I just placed a order for one.
I have never ordered from BugOutGearUSA.com before. I hope they are fast. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

If they work like I hope I may have to get a surefire p6 again. I had a P6 I used for work and everytime I dropped it the bulb went out.

Went through 3 bulbs one day, was having a very bad day that day, lol...

I got some free replacement bulbs from surefire after I emailed them and explained how the bulbs kept going out on me, but after a couple more I decided it was just a pain.

My G2 had been dropped many many times and put through hell and it still has the bulb it was shipped with. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Anyone else using the drop-in?

Geologist

Enlightened

I also have the 3 watt drop in. It is simply a great product!

Also I've ordered for BOG a couple of times now. Their service was fast and I had no problems. If you are ordering from them, take a look at some of the battery cases they were selling - also handy to have.

Danintex

Enlightened

Are there 2 models of the lamps? Seems like I saw a Hi and a Lo output somewhere. ???

dougmccoy

Enlightened

Flavio of BOG is quite simply an excellent guy to do business with! Both my orders from the USA to UK were quick and well packaged. Flavio offers a first rate service and IMHO cant be faulted.
Doug

LEDmaglite

Newly Enlightened

Glad to hear the good news about BOG. I got a email today saying it was mail today via priority mail. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif
I should have it Friday or Saturday....

Danintex,
I think I read someplace about a 1 watt and something about a 5 watt coming out soon.

Not sure, but I bet someone here knows more about them.

LEDmaglite

Newly Enlightened

Got my G&P today.
Some of my first thoughts.
The LED and extra ring was loose in a plastic bag and that was also just loose in the priority mail box. I thought it could have been packaged better.

The light is bright and white, but a little off center.
It's center being off is one of them things you only would notice shinning it on a wall that is 2 feet away or less.

Not a big deal and I won't notice it when using the light for work, but still a little disappointing considering what I paid for it.

It's still the middle of the afternoon here, but even so I can compare it to another G2 and tell it's going to be a great addition to my G2.

Are other peoples G&P's a little off center too or I'm I just lucky? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

dougmccoy

Enlightened

LEDmaglite,

I'm sorry that you appear to have a G&P which is off centre. Both mine are perfectly centred and tint wise are some of the better luxeons I've come across. The two I've got were bought a few weeks apart and both came packaged in Global Priority boxes which provided adequate for the purpose.

If you feel the beam is not right please advise Flavio as I'm sure he'll take care of it. I feel kinda guilty now as I'm one of the guys who recommended the module. All I can say is that I'm really pleased with them and with the addition of the Surefire diffuser it is a great combination.

Doug

LEDmaglite

Newly Enlightened

dougmccoy

No need to feel guilty. I really like the light so far. Still waiting for the sun to fall to test it outside, but I have been testing it inside as it will be used durring day light as a worklight.

The off center is a preaty small thing and I won't return it just now because of it. I dont' really notice it unless I'm really close to a wall with it.

I may buy a couple more. One for my dads G2 and my sons G2.
If I get a couple more and they are centered a lot better I may return it then, will see.

I was kind of expecting the LED to show up in a package like this.

click here for a photo
<font color="red">Admin Edit: Please do not post images unless you have permission from the person/company hosting them. If in doubt post a link to the image. Al</font>

Not in a plastic bag, but it's here and I'm happy. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

jrblack

Newly Enlightened
i also ordered one of these from bog and was also surprised
to find it bagged and loose in the box. also the "spring" included for the g2 application had obviously been cut by someone and wasnt a spring anymore but just one single coil like a keyring . because of this i am sending it back today and may consider another but for the money paid and from hearing about the potluck reliability where some burn out etc. i have doubts about it. for the money it should be 100% from the start

Geologist

Enlightened
If you need an additional coil for a G2 (mine works fine without it), all you need is the singe cut coil - and that is what they have been including after the first batch went out. If you drop in is not working or it is a dud, by all means, send it back. But it doesn't appear that yours is working incorrectly.