Can't stand my landlord!!!!!!!

KingSmono

Enlightened
Can\'t stand my landlord!!!!!!!

I guess I'm at fault, but I REALLY think that the punishment is a little HARSH! Ugh, so I just need to vent...

I had my girlfriend and another couple over to my apartment for dinner the other night. Well, my girlfriend brought her puppy over, since she didn't want to leave her all by herself at her place. Well, I was cooking out on the grill, so while we were all outside, the puppy was playing in the grass. Our complex has a "No Pets" rule, and one of our neighbors called the office, and told them about the puppy.

The next day, I came home and there was a letter on my door. It stated that I have "seven days to cure my noncompliance" since I had broken my lease agreement by having a pet. It said you can't have a pet on the premises, even temporarily. And now I have to pay a $250 pet fee, a $45 de-flea fee, and a $40 carpet cleaning fee. PLUS our security deposit ($250) is forfeited, and we cannot get it back, since we broke the terms on our lease!!!!!!!!

That brings the total damages to a whopping $585!!!! Even though the dog was there for a matter of hours, it doesn't matter. There was an animal on the premises! I mean, I could understand if I was breeding dogs and the place was a zoo... sure... but come on, I've lived in this complex for a total of 2 weeks!! A first-time warning or something would've been nice... But nope, they just pile on the fee's and threaten me with eviction if I don't "cure" my "noncompliance" within seven days. UGGGGGHHHH.

-Allen

Lurker

Flashlight Enthusiast
Re: Can\'t stand my landlord!!!!!!!

Allen, that sounds truly unfair. A little advice from someone who has been on both sides of this kind of issue (tennant and landlord)- Do not admit to the infraction. You have no idea where that puppy wandered into the yard from. In fact, you never even saw the puppy. Also do not pay any fees or fines. Call and talk to someone to see if you can get the fines cancelled. A little sweet talk will probably make this all go away.

But in any case, no matter what, do not pay any fines or fees. Just continue to pay your normal rent. They absolutely will not evict you for suspicion of having a visitor with a puppy. That is a totally idle threat. As long as you are paying your rent, that is all they really care about. And also that you do not have a dog living there, which you do not.

When it comes time for you to move out, do not pay your last month's rent. Ask them to apply your security deposit to the last month's rent. This will drive them crazy and they will threaten all kinds of things but this is your only protection. Let them take you to small claims court if they want (they won't). You would win anyway. Don't let this kind of predatory behaviour happen to you. Good luck.

KingSmono

Enlightened

Lurker: Thank you for the advice! On the notice, they specifically said that "Your September's rent will NOT be accepted if these fees aren't included." /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif

greg_in_canada: Thanks, I'll try and figure that out. I guess if it states them in the lease which I signed though, then I can't really argue it...

KingSmono

Enlightened

I'm going to go to the office today after work, and beg for mercy. Any advice on what to say? Here's my plan, I was going to shoot for honesty, and hope they realize that we don't have a pet living in our apartment, and that the penalty is a little harsh... Is this a bad idea? Should I just go in and be like "What dog, I don't know what you're talking about?" I guarantee they'll get the people who reported the dog, and then it'll be a "his word against mine" match... and I'd be lying. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif

-Allen

greg_in_canada

Flashlight Enthusiast

Taking your security deposit (aka damage deposit) seems
like double charging you. If you pay for the carpet
cleaning and de-fleaing then the "damage" has been
repaired as far as I can see. So why take away your
deposit (aside from the fact that the lease says they
can)?

Greg

KingSmono

Enlightened

I totally agree 100%! I guess my big question is to plead ignorance? (Get defensive that they're accusing me of having a pet, and forcing me to pay all of these fees?) Or tell the truth, and beg for mercy? I could easily say that we were just grilling out, when a person with a dog walked by, and yes, we talked to them, but that was it... Not my dog, not my problem... and refuse to pay the fees. Then they'll probably ask if the dog ever entered the apartment... If the person who called in the complaint *saw* the puppy go into my apartment, I'm screwed... Ugh, this is really stressing me out!

-Allen

Lurker

Flashlight Enthusiast

[ QUOTE ]
KingSmono said:
"Your September's rent will NOT be accepted if these fees aren't included."

[/ QUOTE ]

BS. You mail the check. If they don't cash it, that is their problem. So much the better for you. Furthermore, if you can prove that you sent in the check, they can probably NEVER evict you. Afterall, you paid the rent, right? What judge is going to issue an eviction order for a tenant who is paying the rent and doesn't have a dog? It's ridiculous.

Christoph

Flashlight Enthusiast

You will have cured your noncompliance if the puppy is not there any more.I would think
Chris

Lurker

Flashlight Enthusiast

[ QUOTE ]
KingSmono said:
I'm going to go to the office today after work, and beg for mercy. Any advice on what to say? Here's my plan, I was going to shoot for honesty, and hope they realize that we don't have a pet living in our apartment, and that the penalty is a little harsh... Is this a bad idea? Should I just go in and be like "What dog, I don't know what you're talking about?" I guarantee they'll get the people who reported the dog, and then it'll be a "his word against mine" match... and I'd be lying. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif

-Allen

[/ QUOTE ]

Never beg. Just deny, deny, deny. In a case of his word against yours, you have the advantage. "The other guy was mistaken or lying. Maybe he has something against me. Maybe he's a racist or an anti-semite or anti-gay. I don't know what his problem is. Drop in on my apartment any time you want and if you can find a dog, or so much as a single dog hair, I'll pay the fines and give you a written apology!"

Don't you see how you are in complete control of this situation?

[BTW, I am a big believer in honesty, but you cannot expect to win with honesty when dealing with dishonest people. And anyone who is trying to do this to you is dishonest or at least unethical.]

cy

Flashaholic

best solution is purchase your own house!

Beamhead

Flashlight Enthusiast

IMHO honesty is always the best way to go.

If your lease stipulates all the items they are levying against you, well I hate to say this but they have you dead to rights.

I think if you are straight forward and honest you have the best chance of diminishing the penalty, if you deny and they can prove you wrong, your situation could get worse real quick.

This is just my 2 cents worth.
Good luck. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

KingSmono

Enlightened

That's the only thing I'm afraid of... that some crazy neighbor whipped out the video camera, or digi-cam and can easily prove that I'm lying. Which is why I'm torn considerably about the "unexpected guest" route, and plead for leniency... or the whole "what dog?" route, that could be disproved with some simple evidence... then I'll get the whole $585 she-bang smacked right in my face.

-Allen

Edited to add: I really appreciate all of your great advice.

Lurker: It sounds so simple when you say it; I wish you could come talk to my apartment complex on my behalf, because I'm not so graceful with my words sometime, and I'm afraid I'll just dig my own grave. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif

BB

Flashlight Enthusiast

KingSmono,

The no-pets/no-smoking rules are certainly enforceable. The fees, might be challenged in small claims court. The 7 day notice and the refusal to accept "partial" payment is just pretty much what a landlord has to do these days to enforce the terms of the rental agreement.

After replacing carpets because of smokers and pets (and even rebuild an apartment building (once) and carport (twice) after smokers/pot smoking by underage kids--and even losing fire insurance coverage because of the neighbors tenants that started one fire...)--and all of the new laws and court cases out there you kind of have to be an @$$ to be a landlord. I don't really like being one at all.

For what you do really depends on what outcome you desire--if you want to move, you can fight, court, or whatever; with the knowledge you may be out of your place and looking for another within 90 days (especially if apartments are scarce in your area and it is easy for the landlord to rent again). Also, check your lease agreement--you may be responsible for court and other costs if you lose.

Otherwise, try to be a nice guy and plead for forgiveness--and possible offer to help clean/spray. Good tenants are worth keeping.

Good Luck,
Bill

Beamhead

Flashlight Enthusiast

Allen,
You are obviously not equipped to argue from a position based on untruth.
I think you know what you must do...bite the bullet...and calmly ask for leniency.

Even if you have to pay the full amount, in the end your conscience will be clear although your wallet a bit lighter.

Side note here..,my fifteen year old dog just cost me $500.00 for emergency Vet bills, that could have been a few lights. But I can sleep well at night knowing that I chose the right coarse.
/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/icon3.gif

KingSmono

Enlightened

Bill, do you think that the landlord would be willing to "negotiate" the penalty at all? Even though it is probably clearly spelled out in the lease? As someone else pointed out, taking my security deposit AND making me pay the fees is really screwing me TWICE! Since I don't have a dog, but there was a dog in my apartment for a very limited time, (which can possibly be proved... if my neighbors recorded it) do you think I could offer to pay for the de-fleaing, and the carpet cleaning, but get out of losing the security deposit / the $250 pet fee? Or do you think they'll either go ALL or NOTHING? Thanks again for lending your expertise.

-Allen

this_is_nascar

Flashaholic

[ QUOTE ]
KingSmono said:
I guess I'm at fault, but I REALLY think that the punishment is a little HARSH! Ugh, so I just need to vent...

I had my girlfriend and another couple over to my apartment for dinner the other night. Well, my girlfriend brought her puppy over, since she didn't want to leave her all by herself at her place. Well, I was cooking out on the grill, so while we were all outside, the puppy was playing in the grass. Our complex has a "No Pets" rule, and one of our neighbors called the office, and told them about the puppy.

The next day, I came home and there was a letter on my door. It stated that I have "seven days to cure my noncompliance" since I had broken my lease agreement by having a pet. It said you can't have a pet on the premises, even temporarily. And now I have to pay a $250 pet fee, a $45 de-flea fee, and a $40 carpet cleaning fee. PLUS our security deposit ($250) is forfeited, and we cannot get it back, since we broke the terms on our lease!!!!!!!!

That brings the total damages to a whopping $585!!!! Even though the dog was there for a matter of hours, it doesn't matter. There was an animal on the premises! I mean, I could understand if I was breeding dogs and the place was a zoo... sure... but come on, I've lived in this complex for a total of 2 weeks!! A first-time warning or something would've been nice... But nope, they just pile on the fee's and threaten me with eviction if I don't "cure" my "noncompliance" within seven days. UGGGGGHHHH.

-Allen

[/ QUOTE ]

You were wrong and you knew of the ordinance, you knowlingly knew you broke the rules, now pay the fine(s) no matter how harsh. I can't think of any nicer way to say it.

KingSmono

Enlightened

[ QUOTE ]
Beamhead said:
Allen,
You are obviously not equipped to argue from a position based on untruth.
I think you know what you must do...bite the bullet...and calmly ask for leniency.

Even if you have to pay the full amount, in the end your conscience will be clear although your wallet a bit lighter.

Side note here..,my fifteen year old dog just cost me $500.00 for emergency Vet bills, that could have been a few lights. But I can sleep well at night knowing that I chose the right coarse.
/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/icon3.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Sorry to hear about your recent vet bills... I can relate to unexpected expenses! I just graduated from college, and I'm desperately trying to establish myself financially. I want to buy a house pretty soon, and who knows... I might be interested in buying a diamond ring for a certain someone, sometime in the near future... (have you seen how crazy expensive those things are??!) /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/ooo.gif

But these insane, unexpected expenses just keep popping up... seems like I can't catch a break lately. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/icon3.gif

I just don't have much experience with issues like these, and I'm glad you guys are there to steer me in the right direction! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grouphug.gif

-Allen

Beamhead

Flashlight Enthusiast

Allen,
Keep your chin up.

Yes, I am fully aware of how much things cost. I have always managed to stay afloat with my character intact.

Congrats on your Graduating colledge and your future nuptuals. (my daughter will Graduate from colledge in December)

We/CPF are here for ya.

You will catch a break, hang in there and do the right thing.

TIN put it straight. ***Tough love warning here****
You got yourself into this mess, now get yourself out/through it. In time it will be but a blip in the road of your long and fruitful life. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif