Editing Conmputer Files

Gambit

Newly Enlightened
Dr. Nick: Hey everybody!

Is it possible to edit two files, that are under two different XP users, at once? Or, if it's possible to synchronize the two files so that when one is changed so is the other?

To be specific, I'm talking about the info.htm file found in AIM's (AOL Instant Messenger) folders. I have one AIM screenname that I use on two different XP users. I find that when I change my AIM profile/Buddy Info under one XP user, it does not change under the other XP user. I understand that it does not change because the two XP users have separate info.htm files but I was wondering if it's possible to sync the two info.htm files so that when one is changed so is the other? Or, if it's possible, to just edit both info.htm's at the same time? Either way is good.

The AIM files in question are located in C:\Documents and Settings\****\Application Data\Aim\sdfklhj\AIM_SN and in C:\Documents and Settings\****\Application Data\Aim\djfhugh\AIM_SN2.

Thanks a lot!

legtu

Enlightened
Sync the two files instead. There are third-party applications/programs coded for that purpose. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

Gambit

Newly Enlightened
No way of doing that with Windows though or a .bat file?

binky

Flashlight Enthusiast
It won't work if you just make one of the files a shortcut to the other? You may have to tweak sharing priv's, depending on the version of XP you've got.

kubolaw

Enlightened
Or alternatively, direct AIM for both users to "look" at the same info.htm file (still would have to set permissions for the file to allow read/write by both users).

Gambit

Newly Enlightened
[ QUOTE ]
direct AIM for both users to "look" at the same info.htm file

[/ QUOTE ]
How would you do that?

kubolaw

Enlightened
Well, I'm not familiar with AIM (or very much with XP for that matter), but I imagine that you could modify the registry so that the program is pointed to the same file for different users. Sort of like modifying the registry to allow different users to share the same IE favorites (which I have done in Win2k). I'm assuming that the same type of thing can be done for AIM, but hopefully someone more familiar with the program will chime in.

legtu

Enlightened
[ QUOTE ]
Gambit said:
No way of doing that with Windows though or a .bat file?

[/ QUOTE ]

If you want a batch file, it should look something like this:

<font class="small">Code:</font><hr /><pre>
copy "C:\Documents and Settings\****\Application Data\Aim\sdfklhj\AIM_SN\info.htm"
"C:\Documents and Settings\****\Application Data\Aim\djfhugh\AIM_SN2\info.htm" /y</pre><hr />

Include everything in just one line. I added a line feed to avoid having a horizontal scroll here in the thread. It'll copy the file from "...\AIM_SN" to "...\AIM_SN2".

Alternatively, you can just type/paste the command directly into XP's 'Run...' command.

As for synching, try http://www.allwaysync.com/

Registry editing might work too, you just need to find the correct entry.

Gambit

Newly Enlightened
Re: Editing Computer Files

First off, thanks everyone for your time and for posting. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/thumbsup.gif

Note: Sharing privileges have always been tweaked.

[ QUOTE ]
It won't work if you just make one of the files a shortcut to the other?

[/ QUOTE ] It didn't. I thought it would too.

[ QUOTE ]
Or alternatively, direct AIM for both users to "look" at the same info.htm file

[/ QUOTE ] That would either involve editing the registry or hacking one of AIM's .dlls because AIM preferences has no option for that.

[ QUOTE ]
I'm not familiar with AIM (or very much with XP for that matter), but I imagine that you could modify the registry so that the program is pointed to the same file for different users. Sort of like modifying the registry to allow different users to share the same IE favorites (which I have done in Win2k).

[/ QUOTE ] That would work but it's not exactly the easiest or safest task in the world to play around in the regedit. Side Note: Couldn't you have just copied and pasted the entire IE Favorites' folder from one user to another? I've never worked with Win2k though before so I'm probably wrong.

[ QUOTE ]
As for synching, try <http://www.allwaysync.com/>

[/ QUOTE ] I've been looking for an alternative to Windows' Briefcase. Thanks!

[ QUOTE ]
If you want a batch file, it should look something like this:

Code:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

copy "C:\Documents and Settings\****\Application Data\Aim\sdfklhj\AIM_SN\info.htm" "C:\Documents and Settings\****\Application Data\Aim\djfhugh\AIM_SN2\info.htm" /y

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

[/ QUOTE ] That is exactly what I was looking for. One question though, Legtu, do I have to always run/double-click the batch file so that it will do the copy or is it possible to have it do the copy automatically, like when logging off user, let's say?

Edit: Actually, Legtu, is it possible to have the .bat file run automatically when one of the info.htm files are edited/changed??? That would be awesome! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/buttrock.gif

legtu

Enlightened

[ QUOTE ]
Gambit said:
That is exactly what I was looking for. One question though, Legtu, do I have to always run/double-click the batch file so that it will do the copy or is it possible to have it do the copy automatically, like when logging off user, let's say?

Edit: Actually, Legtu, is it possible to have the .bat file run automatically when one of the info.htm files are edited/changed??? That would be awesome! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/buttrock.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Yup, you'll have to manually run the batch file everytime you want to 'sync' the two files. You'll have to create another batch file or setup AIM or a script to run the batch file if you want it done automatically.

I'd recommend that you use allwaysync instead. It'll do what you want to do without the hassle. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

danielo_d

Enlightened

If you want to run that bat/cmd file when you log in, put a copy of it in
"C:\Documents and Settings\[User]\Start Menu\Programs\Startup".
Or you can run task scheduler to run it everyday at a certain time. [like a cron job.]

Hope this helps...

Danno