Anyone have specs/reviews of KT1 and KT2 turbohead?

LEDcandle

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hi all, was thinking of getting a KT1 (for use with stock Z2) or possibly KT2 turbohead (use with a rechargeable or cell-extended setup or maybe even with a new 9p) but just wanted to know some details of it. Anyone have reviews on them?

I also need some specs like

1) Diameter of the bezel (are they both the same size?)
(ok found this out, 2.5" for both)
2) Estimated throw in meters
3) Usability of the new turbo beam for midrange 15-20m (isit too tight for example)

I'm wondering what kind of 'turbo' effect I am expecting. Like 150-200m throw? Also, I suppose the KT2 with the brighter bulb will throw further?

Any kind owner of these turboheads pls share some insight and any other comments or problems with these! :)

Paul_in_Maryland

Flashlight Enthusiast
This page might help, from Sean's Flashlight Site. CPF Surfire guru Size15 of the UK has posted extensively about Surefire's various turboheads.

When the search function is restored, you'll be able to find his posts easily.

JasonC8301

Flashlight Enthusiast
I can't seem to find the thread on it, but it had the KT1, KT2, SRTH, and various other Surefire turbo head information.

The KT1 and KT2 to my knowledge is the same head, just comes with different lamp assembly's that run on either 2 or 3 cells (think N1 and N2 lamps, with compatability with MN15/16 cells on 3 cell lights.)

I planned on getting a KT turbo head with E2C on my UBH III body running a MN16 bulb.

1. Yes both are 25 inches in diameter.
2. Can't comment, havent used the assembly before.
3. Look at 2.

I have a Surefire M6 that has a turbo head, sure not a KT series but its my only Surefire that has a 2.5 inch head. It is good for medium/close range work (in terms of lighting something up really brightly.) I used my M6 to inspect an engine at night once to find a leak and it found it pretty quickly (imagine an entire engine filled with light.)

I am sure a Sf expert like Size15's will chime in.

LEDcandle

Flashlight Enthusiast
Paul : Thanks, great link! At least I have a feel for the look and beamshot.

Jason : I doubt the KT1 or even KT2 setup is close enough to an M6 to make a comparison :) But how's the M6's throwing performance like? a couple of hundred meters?

I tried searching for threads by Size15's (since the search function works by user for old threads), but haven't found anything yet on the turboheads... am still looking...

kakster

Flashlight Enthusiast
Actually, the turbohead on the M3T, M4 and M6 is the KT4. It should share the same reflector and therefore beam charactoristics as the KT1 and 2. The spill/corona of the KT4 might be a little smaller due to the reflector being slightly reccessed because of the shock isolation mechanism.

Unicorn

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have a KT2 on my 9P, and it is fantastic. I don't consider it too tight at 15 meters. It's a broader beam than a MagCharger at it's tightest focus.

I was comparing it to my MagCharger, and it was throwing a broader beam, just as far. Now to be fair the Mag has had it's battery abused by being allowed to sit for a couple months totally dead (does that reduce it's capacity?), and the bulb has mostly been used in very short bursts. Less than 30 seconds at a time, so it might have dimmed.

With little ambient light I was throwing a beam about 75 meters. I couldn't test any further because there were trees in the way. I could reach the top of the tallets trees, but it wasn't bright, and besides I have no idea of the distance.

LEDcandle

Flashlight Enthusiast
Paul : GREEEAT links :) Thanks for doing the legwork.

Unicorn : Thanks for the input. Flashlightreviews quotes a stock p60's max throw to be about 60m, so I think a KT2 should be significantly more than that, though the range at which the light is 'usable' is prob something like u said, 75 odd meters.

But the PT Surge is rated at around 94 meters, but I find it doesn't really seem to be able to reach that length, and my KL3 and P60 seem to match it. Maybe it's just cuz my eyes aren't accurage measuring devices at all :D

These ranges are still a little short for my needs.. I thought a turbohead could throw maybe 150-200m. I'm not looking at bulky/expensive spotlights/lights and my main purpose is distant site inspection with a 'sheathable' torch that can double up as a super-tight-n-bright self-defense light :)

Unicorn

Flashlight Enthusiast
The distance I gave you was limited by trees on one side behind the building, and the brightly lit parking lot on the other side. It was a limitation of the surroundings, not the light itself.
I also realised last night that the batteries in it were not even close to fresh. Maybe 30 minutes of runtime on them.
This makes this thing even more impressive in my mind. With fres batteries and no streelights, it just might make the distance you want.

LEDcandle

Flashlight Enthusiast
ok unicorn, thanks for the heads up! I think it might work out, if only someone would sell one to me cheap.... LOL