Would the Post office confiscate a BB gun?

Mags

Flashlight Enthusiast
Would the Post office confiscate a Airsoft gun?

There is this REALLY nice Gas operated BB gun I hope to buy sometime soon. I would just like to know whether the Post office would confiscate it. I live in New York. The reason I am worried is because I believe NY is one of the most paranoid (security wise) states.

Last edited:

The_LED_Museum

*Retired*
I don't *THINK* the post orifice would confiscate a BB gun, but I have no documentation with which to back up my statement, so please take my statement with plenty of crystalline sodium chloride (grains of salt).

Outrider

Newly Enlightened
IMHO - In this day & age the P.O. will confiscate a BB! A long metal tube will look like a "BAD THING". Please consider "Common Carrier" aka UPS Ground insured. I suggest a call to UPS to verify. Tell them it is an Air Gun and best if you do not use your name. Hope this helps

Outrider

greenLED

Flashaholic
If it's properly packaged, discharged, unloaded, and secured, I don't see why not. It's not dangerous if it can't be activated inside a box like this. My (unpaid and unsubstainciated advise). Best thing to do is to go to your PO and ask.

Topper

Flashaholic*
If they are illeagal to own then yes it could be taken. I just flipped thru a Cheaper than dirt catalog and they will not ship a slingshot to NY so my guess would be BB guns would be a no-no there. That might just apply to NY,NY upstate may be different check local laws first, do not depend on a store keeping up with the laws. Dumb as this may sound some things are legal to sell even though it is not legal for you to have it.
Topper

IsaacHayes

Flashlight Enthusiast
IIRC UPS will send air guns. But other firearms are a nightmare. Better not hope you have to mail any firearms back!! It's a big run-around and has to be sent overnight!

Airguns are not classified as firearms. At least back in the day they didnt. Things might be different now?

Topper

Flashaholic*
Air guns, slingshots even BlackPowder guns can still be shipped to my door none of them are considered a "firearm" or I can just pick any one of them up locally not a problem. Wally world and Kmart carry all but BlackPowder revolvers. Cabela's has a large collection of OK revolvers and they are just a phone call away.
Topper

BIGIRON

Flashlight Enthusiast
Airguns are completely legal to mail as far as the USPS is concerned. State/city laws are another story. Whether USPS would cooperate with locals is not known. That would be the only problem you should have.

www.packing.org is a good place to start. The BATF and USPS websites both provide specific rules and regs

JasonC8301

Flashlight Enthusiast
Take my advice with a grain of salt too, but I believe airguns are legal in NY state but not NYC which is full of pansy politicians.

I can go out of NYC lines and purchase/use a AR-15/CAR-15 assault rifle but it is illegal to have in NYC, a felony. Maybe I should move to Long Island or Texas, lol.

Go UPS, much better package package tracking.

jtr1962

Flashaholic
They are illegal in NYC, especially for someone under 18, along with stun guns, carrying knives of any kind in a public area, regular handguns, fireworks, gas/electric scooters, spray paint (for minors anyhow), flashlights brighter than a certain candlepower (not anything easily portable though), and just about anything else that's any fun. The <5mW keychain lasers may also be made illegal in the future as well. The one thing I'd like to see them eliminate (SUVs) isn't even being considered as far as I know.

I'm all for a proposition this November to eliminate that City Council so they can't ban anything else. Funny how the bad element always somehow obtains the things they make illegal anyway. Next time I hear someone say there ought to be a law against it they'll feel me foot going up their rear and out their mouth.

IIRC, 100 years ago you had kids younger than ten with hunting rifles and they all didn't kill each other.

As to your question, assuming you can find someplace willing to ship it here via UPS, and it's packaged in a nonthreatening form, you should be OK. However, since you run the risk of having it confiscated everytime you use it I don't much see the point of buying it to begin with.

If it's that important to you then write your City Councilperson to have this law and some of the other inane laws overturned. Don't hold your breath, though. I've been trying to get 191-76 (which prohibits cycling on sidewalks) overturned for over 5 years. Oh, and next time there's a proposition on the ballot to increase the number of patrol cars vote yes. :D (line shamelessly borrowed from Falling Down).

Mags

Flashlight Enthusiast
Everyone thank you for the help. I will try to contact the post office with my question. Since some of you are interested, here is the gun I am drooling over.
http://www.speedytoys.com/shop/item.asp?itemid=186&catid=2
I believe its the most powerful gas powered pistol Ive seen yet. 1.4 joules and around 400FPS!!!! Pretty pricy too and a GAS HOG!!. Gotta start saving my lunch money.... :broke:

MaxaBaker

Flashlight Enthusiast
Another thing, it seems to be that model is life size...............you do realize that the desert eagle is a BIG gun, right? :D

Mags

Flashlight Enthusiast
Maxabaker, u betcha! Ive held a Deagle replica before, and it was heavy! but very comfortable to hold and I had a pretty firm grip. Im pretty sure that thing will be fun to shoot with the kick from the blowback.

Topper, can you tell me the difference between a bb gun and airsoft? I dont know alot about how different the two are.

MaxaBaker

Flashlight Enthusiast
Not Topper, but it is a forum :)

Air soft uses plastic BBs ( I *think* that's the only difference). Some of the air soft guns can get away with using metal ones though. I wouldn't press the luck; at 380 fps, plastic can sometimes as much damage as metal at close distances.

I've used a fake DE on a police/mil training FATS machine. Really cool/fun stuff! WOWZAS, big gun! But, at 3 pounds I think this fake is lighter weight.

Mags

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thanks Maxabaker. So I am thinking Airsoft is at least a little more safe than bb/pellet guns correct? And it doesnt make sense to ban these. You have to be 18 to buy em, so if a parent allows their kid to buy one, its their responsibility isnt it? Besides, I know enough about gun safety not to shoot someone. It would give me confidence that my parents would trust me enough to use an Airsoft gun safely, even if they know how dangerous they are.

offroadcmpr

Enlightened
I've had airsoft guns shipped to california all of the time. And california is pretty strict.

Airsoft shoots a plastic 6 mm BB compared to what is usually a .177 for a BB gun. Air guns shoot at speeds of up to 1000 fps, while a highly upgraded airsoft will maybe shoot up to 500 fps.

If you and a couple of friends get some guns you can play games the same way you play paintball, just cheaper and can do it in more places. MAKE SURE YOU USE MASKS(PAINTBALL MASKS, OR AT THE LEAST SHOOTING GLASSES).

It does not usually hurt too much to get hit, but it depends on where and how close. I've only seen blood once, and that was on the top of my friends head with a m5p aeg(shoots around 300 fps)

There a different wieghts of the BBs. For a gun like that I would use at least .2g bbs.(for more accuracy)

remember that the rated FPS in flashlight terms is like lumens. Different companies rate thier guns differently. A trick they use is to use really light ammo (.12g) which shoots fast, but is not real acurate, which means it is not real usefull.

A good site to look at for all sorts of airsoft stuff is www.redwolfairsoft.com or www.airsplat.com

Good luck and welcome to the world of airsoft.

Topper

Flashaholic*
Looks like your covered, best to not ignore saftey glasses when shooting even Air Soft can hurt. The plastic .6mm will cause pain a .5mm BB can penatrate do not shoot real BB's in an Air Soft gun just not smart.
Topper