Hollywood Moonspot Desk Lamp

PhotonWrangler

Flashaholic
Just noticed Craig's update on this lamp, and I was disappointed to see that it failed from taking only a short fall. Craig, if you're reading this, do the two side supports contain electrical contacts, or does a power cable pass through one of the supports?

If it's the former, I have doubts about the ruggedness of this product... something I was considering buying until this evening.
:shrug:

Ken_McE

Flashlight Enthusiast
Pila_Power said:
Where's this desk lamp?? :) I'm in the middle of building my own and wouldn't mind some objective pointers... :)

How far along are you? What's it look like? What's it gonna' do?

Former_Mag_User

Enlightened
I had fun making mine!

LED_WIRED.jpg

FACESHOT.jpg

bs3desk.jpg

Pila_Power

Enlightened
I am collecting parts to make two weatherproof versions using 12V 3.5mAh SLA batts (one in each) in an IP rated enclosure which will act as a solid base incorporating a goose neck microphone thingy up to a heatsink with a couple of white stars mounted on each.

Getting the gooseneck to be at least rain proof entails a bit of fancy thinking... I was looking to go with maybe a bit of un heated heatshrink tubing, but shrink both ends to seal it up.

Sealing the head will be worked on after I come up with a feasible option for the heatsink & mounting requirements.

Needless to say, there will be glow epoxy and nail polish abounding.

I am aiming for a long-life unit with a weatherproof charging jack in the case somewhere so alls you need to do is plug it into the trickle charger wall-wart for as long as you want - it'll auto switch to trickle charge once it's up to max cap.

I estimate it will be a few months in the making as its a low priority build.

Pila_Power

Enlightened
Jeepers, just read about that lamp...

Can't be good for business.

Mine will be as rugged as the Ozzie Outback, mate!! :thumbsup:

The_LED_Museum

*Retired*
PhotonWrangler said:
Just noticed Craig's update on this lamp, and I was disappointed to see that it failed from taking only a short fall. Craig, if you're reading this, do the two side supports contain electrical contacts, or does a power cable pass through one of the supports?

If it's the former, I have doubts about the ruggedness of this product... something I was considering buying until this evening.
:shrug:
I believe the side supports contain electrical contacts; not cables or wires.
Examining the arm that failed, there is a plastic insulator and a spring on its end.

The lamp is rather lovely and quite functional; I was rather disappointed that it became broken so easily. :( :shakehead: :(

Last edited: