• You must be a Supporting Member to participate in the Candle Power Forums Marketplace.

You can become a Supporting Member.

Sold/Expired JIL DD + FluPIC Mod, DIY KIT Details (Pics) - Updated:10/20/05

goldserve

Flashlight Enthusiast
So this is what i've done when I got the JIL DD this morning. Pictures are worth a thousand words =P

I need all the help and brain power from you guys!

As seen in the pictures, there is not enough room to fit the FLuPIC inside and things are bulging out on both ends. I have a few hunches on how to fix this but you guys may come up with more creative solutions.

As you can see, the reflector does not sit on the flashlight body.

As you can see, the UCL lens is 2mm thick. I can opt to go for a 18mm x 1mm mineral glass lense (If someone wants to help and send me some QUICK, I'll give them a free FLuPIC board) and the reflector cap should cover the unslightly orange o-ring.

FluPIC sandwhich module. I can make my own PCB for the emitter and use 0.8mm instead of 1.6mm thickness as well. If someone has a shop that can make me emitter boards quick, please contact me!!!

Bottom of FLuPIC module. Notice the o-ring in place. I use this to lower the flupic module into the battery compartment but not too much. That is how I squeezed some room from the other end of the light.

This is how it would look if i used thinner mineral glass lense. I can also take out the o-ring and it would not be dunkable anymore.

If anyone has anything they can help me with, please post here!

Update 10/04/2004:

I have got everything figured out and waiting for some new PCBs made. I should get them sometime next week so watch out for updates!

Here is a picture of everything assembled and looking purdy =P

DIY KIT:
-1 x 0.6" emitter board (without led)
-1 x soldered FLuPIC board
-1 x metal spacer ring
-2 x metal posts to connect FLuPIC and emitter

Estimated cost $35.

Fully Assembled Drop In:
-Everything in the DIY KIT but soldered
-Choice of luxeon led (TWOH, TYOH, UYOK, TWOJ)

Estimated cost $40 + price of lux.

Update 10/11/2004:

tvodrd machined 15 or so aluminum rings for this project. See below for pictures!

Update 10/20/2004:
Boards are in, pictures to follow soon. Stay tuned for ordering instructions!

Last edited:

goldserve

Flashlight Enthusiast
Re: JIL DD + FluPIC Mod Need Help! (Pics)

Sorry, can a MOD please move this to the Homemade and modified lights section??? Thanks.

this_is_nascar

Flashaholic

This issue was the same that I had in using the Jil pills. There's just not enough room in there to properly get this to work and not look like a "hodge-podge" setup.

goldserve

Flashlight Enthusiast

I'm very close to getting there...

The possible things that can be done:

1) Get thinner lenses (1mm vs 2mm)
2) Remove the oring from head sperating the lense
3) make a thinner PCB for the emitter (0.8mm vs 1.6mm)

Ways to fix up the bottom are:
1) Get a thicker o-ring to raise the flupic more into the head
2) use a dremel and shave down the little stub inside the JIL in the battery compartment

Cheers!

nekomane

Flashlight Enthusiast

Just and idea.

Thinning down the retaining ring in the bezel, then using a thicker o-ring or washer to 'float' the FlupIC may give you some more space on both sides.

goldserve

Flashlight Enthusiast

nekomane said:
Just and idea.

Thinning down the retaining ring in the bezel, then using a thicker o-ring or washer to 'float' the FlupIC may give you some more space on both sides.

First off, thanks for the idea. I don't think the reflector is touching the retaining ring. It seems to be sitting ontop of the emitter. I tried without the retaining ring and it was the same. Thanks again.

nekomane

Flashlight Enthusiast

Hmmm, your right. I just took mine apart and understand your problem now.
Trimming down the LED end of the reflector might ruin the focusing:thinking:, but allow you more space.

goldserve

Flashlight Enthusiast

nekomane said:
Hmmm, your right. I just took mine apart and understand your problem now.
Trimming down the LED end of the reflector might ruin the focusing:thinking:, but allow you more space.

I just measured with my digital capliers. If I use 1mm mineral glass, I will complete cover the oring on the head. If I get enough interest to make a thinner emitter PCB, i'll save another 0.8mm. If I can somehow find a better way than a thicker o-ring to 'float' the module even higher, I can cover the bottom o-ring.

nekomane

Flashlight Enthusiast

Now I recognized that I was looking at the older type reflector, not the new one with a flat bottom which would be difficult to trim down. Which do you have?
jilref.jpg

Last edited:

goldserve

Flashlight Enthusiast

Does anyone know where I can buy cheap mineral glass lenses, 18mm x 1mm thick? thanks!

goldserve

Flashlight Enthusiast

I think I figured out how to fix all the problems on the JIL DD with the FLuPIC without getting a new lense.

I have to wait 2.5 weeks for a batch of new PCBs!

Also, this would have have been possible if it weren't for nekomane's kind donations! :rock: :rock:

MY

Enlightened

Goldserve.

Please reserve a new PCB and parts to convert my DD with the FluPIC. My 1.3 works perfectly with the FluPIC but the DD is just enough smaller that, in the pocket, the 1.3 seems huge by comparision.

I too have messed around with different combinations of mods to the DD to fit your FluPIC without success. Looking forward to your solution.

Regards.

KingSmono

Enlightened

Please excuse my ignorance, but I'm not very up-to-date on the FluPIC modules... so after installing the FluPIC in Direct Drive JIL you'll have different regulated brightness levels, strobe options, etc? What kinda runtime can one expect on the highest brightness level, and how would that brightness compare with the JIL 1.3?

-Allen

goldserve

Flashlight Enthusiast

If you install the FLuPIC in the JIL DD, you will get all the brightness settings and features like strobe.

If you use a RCR2, then the brightness will be greater than the 1.3W by a long shot.

Another member tested the FLuPIC module with a 'H' VF emitter and found the FLuPIC to go as long as 33ma-450ma-900ma.

To find runtime, assume capacity of RCR2 is 300ma/hour so divide that by the current level to get expected runtime.

goldserve

Flashlight Enthusiast

I got these today from nekomane:

tube.jpg

I am trying to cut spacers of 1.75mm high but am having a difficult time. I managed to cut one but if i'm going to be selling this mod, it would probaby cost me a finger by the time i'm done.

Anyways, here is the picture of the JIL when the proper height spacer has been put in.

I have a plead for someone to machine me metal spacers with the following dimensions:

OD: 0.6"
ID: 0.57"
Height: 0.067"

goldserve

Flashlight Enthusiast
Re: JIL DD + FluPIC Mod Need Help! (Pics) - Updated:9/29/05

I got some 1mm think mineral glass and this is the result. The final version will not use a mineral glass as the solution but the PCBs coming next week should remedy all problems. The image below is just a sexy JIL DD with a FluPIC engine inside =P

This is looking mighty fine now!

I'm on track for receiving new PCBs for the JIL DD next week.

I expect to sell a complete kit and a DIY kit for the JIL DD.

DIY KIT:
-1 x 0.6" emitter board (without led)
-1 x soldered FLuPIC board
-1 x metal spacer ring
-2 x metal posts to connect FLuPIC and emitter

Estimated cost $35.

Assembled version:
-Everything in the DIY KIT but soldered
-Choice of luxeon led (TWOH, TYOH, UYOK, TWOJ)

Estimated cost $40 + price of lux.

Last edited:

Geologist

Enlightened
Re: JIL DD + FluPIC Mod Need Help! (Pics) - Updated:9/29/05

OK
The link that brought me here also mentioned the QIII. For the do-it-yourself newbie guy, what will I need to have/buy and do to put one of these in a QIII?

Keeping the costs down via DIY is always great!

goldserve

Flashlight Enthusiast
Re: JIL DD + FluPIC Mod, DIY KIT Details (Pics) - Updated:10/04/05

If you want to put it into a QIII, all you would need to buy is the FLuPIC board.

You would need a soldering iron of course...

-remove the old components from the Q3 board.
-find the negative and positive connections on the board and connect it to the flupic
-connect the led wires from the flupic
-play with strobe =P
-done.