Peak LED McKinley

James T

Newly Enlightened
Hello; I'm new.

I've been researching the Peak McKinley model, and something I don't understand while doing comparisons, is why somebody would elect to purchase a Kilimanjaro instead of a McKinley. The McKinley lasts longer before going to 50% output, and it also weighs less. So, what advantage is there to purchasing a Kilimanjaro? Is it the lower operating temperature of the bezel? Does a McKinley get particularly hot?

Also, is there no McKinley offered with 3 LED's? I don't see one offered on the Peak sight, though an article I read stated that all Peaks are offered with 1, 3, or 7 LED's.

Also, does anybody wear a McKinley with a loop of paracord around their neck? This is something I'd do if I get one because I've got keys, a wallet, a tactical folder, a Victorinox, pepper spray, etc. to EDC in my pockets, so I'm wondering if there's any big drawback to wearing this as a neck light.

Also, where is the best place to purchase whis light? From Peak direct?

Thanks.

Silviron

Flashlight Enthusiast
I apologize that I don't have any answers to your technical questions.... I've never seen, much less used a Peak....

But let me caution you and everyone else about using paracord to hang ANYTHING around your neck. Back in the "old days" one guy from my Batallion managed to kill himself accidentally by "broken neck and hanging" when he jumped off a deuce and a half and his dog tags, suspended on paracord, somehow got caught on the stake bed.

And I personally had to cut another guy loose in a somewhat similar situation a year or so later when his "brotherhood" bracelet made of paracord got caught on a tiedown in a helicopter during a static parachute jump.... He was dangling by his wrist..... Fortunately I was right behind and as always, had a knife available for instant deployment.

NEVER, NEVER, NEVER, use paracord around your neck if you are at all active and value your life. Never use anything that has an actual breaking strength greater than 20 pounds or 20% of your body weight.

joema

Flashlight Enthusiast
James T said:
why somebody would elect to purchase a Kilimanjaro instead of a McKinley. The McKinley lasts longer before going to 50% output, and it also weighs less. So, what advantage is there to purchasing a Kilimanjaro?...
The Kilmanjaro uses an AA battery, which is more commonly available than a CR123A lithium battery.

I'd personally recommend a pocket body Peak Caribbean -- it's brighter and has better throw than the McKinley, plus is smaller, albeit at a higher cost. It's so small you can pocket carry it easily, even with other stuff in your pocket.

A cheaper alternative that still produces good output and runtime is the Fenix L1P -- runs on one AA. It's longer than the Peaks, but still quite compact. It comes with a nice holster:

http://www.fenixlight.com/
https://www.jsburlys.com/shop/produ...d=108&osCsid=3d81646e3000122bc6ca49541c4b69ab

Moe

Newly Enlightened
James T said:
Hello; I'm new.
I've been researching the Peak McKinley model, and something I don't understand while doing comparisons, is why somebody would elect to purchase a Kilimanjaro instead of a McKinley. The McKinley lasts longer before going to 50% output, and it also weighs less. So, what advantage is there to purchasing a Kilimanjaro? Is it the lower operating temperature of the bezel? Does a McKinley get particularly hot?
Also, is there no McKinley offered with 3 LED's? I don't see one offered on the Peak sight, though an article I read stated that all Peaks are offered with 1, 3, or 7 LED's.
Also, does anybody wear a McKinley with a loop of paracord around their neck? This is something I'd do if I get one because I've got keys, a wallet, a tactical folder, a Victorinox, pepper spray, etc. to EDC in my pockets, so I'm wondering if there's any big drawback to wearing this as a neck light.
Also, where is the best place to purchase whis light? From Peak direct?
Thanks.

The McKinley 7 LED i have only gets slightly warm during use.
Try to mail the custom design center at peak, i am pretty sure, they still offer the 3-LED-version, if you ask for it.
If you don't want to carry the light in your pocket, (although it's very small) what about a belt-pouch?
I don't think a carribean is an alternative if you are looking for a bright enough, long running pocketlight.
Brighter is not always better. :D

TonkinWarrior

Enlightened
The McKinley is one neat little light.

While it's a tad "fatter" than the Kilimanjaro, it does run longer at higher output. My Mck will get pretty warm... when it's run continuously for several minutes. However, I don't believe these lights are built for that. Intermittent "squirts" of its light are the way to use 'em... i.e., 3 to 5 second bursts.

The Kili's output, however, can be boosted by using Lithium 2AA batteries, instead of alkalines.

I've comfortably worn my McK on a steel-bead neck lanyard. Depending on your clothing's bulk, it does print a small "bulge" on your chest. If you just wear it outside, like "flashaholic jewelry," then no problemo.

The other posters' advice re safety issues with paracord neck lanyards is sound, but a steel-bead "dog-tag" lanyard should be fine because it'll snap under any pressure well short of strangulation.