Won't be getting the Mag Charger soon.

Bravo25

Flashlight Enthusiast
I had read how the MagCharger was the "King of Throws". Until last night I never had a chance to check one out. I was at work with a Mag Charger, and my SL20XP. I will admit to having replaced the stock bulb in SL with the SL35 lamp, but I was not at all impressed with the Mag compared to the SL. It did not throw as far, and had way to many artifacts in the beam. Given the weight of the two, and the cost of the mods I think I would recommend the SL over the Mag. I know that the Mag can be modified to be a real thrower, but the cost of these far out weighs the cost of a SL35 lamp. The price of the original host is about the same.

bwaites

Flashlight Enthusiast
Been discussed many times, the Mag is far superior in build quality, has HAIII instead of HAII.

The Mag can run the SL35x lamp assembly as well as the WelchAllyn mods.

It can be relatively easily modded to put an orange peel reflector in it. The WA1160 mod with orange peel is nicer, in my opinion than the SL35x mod.

Bill

Mark2

Enlightened
bwaites said:
Been discussed many times, the Mag is far superior in build quality, has HAIII instead of HAII.

Are you sure the Mag Charger is HA-III???

Donovan

Enlightened
Not sure about "far superior" build quality... The mag is decent light for the money and a great mod host. But needs these mods to really bring out it's potential. Thats whats so frustrating about mag instrument, so much potential but so unwilling to change or improve in any way.

That stippled reflector mod mentioned above is a prime example. What a difference a little newer "technology" can make!

Last edited:

voodoogreg

Flashlight Enthusiast
I hate the crappy balance of the SL, and you said you did up the bulb
so putting in a 1160 MC is a 2 min operation with a better more heat resistent pin holder, glass lens and ali reflector. This Of course is my opinion but
I know LEO's in my area carry both and seem to have more issues with the
SL.

many here go all out with there MC's I didn't and despite slightly worse beam quality, my MC at working ranges is not noticable and can still spot a cricket hopping 100yd's away. ANd yes I do believe it's a III at least mine must be beat around for 15 yr's and it's just got a few nicks and chunks,
no "worn to the skin" spots. try a 1160, see if you like that setup for 5$ roughly it's worth seeing.

Bt I do like the SLXP alot too. VDG

bwaites

Flashlight Enthusiast
Yes the MagCharger is HAIII.

It is the only one of the Mags so coated.

I've taken them both apart, I have upgraded both for local LEO's and firemen. The MC takes abuse better, the switch construction is better, (I know, that's unbelievable considering all the hate mail it gets here on CPF!).

The SL can be improved, using js's ring potting scheme and a turned down reflector.

The "New Mag Super Reflector" won't "rewrite the output specs". It WILL smooth the beam, and I have been saying for a long time that the HOP's are my favorite. Litho123 had some stippled reflectors made more than a year ago, and I liked them then. The problem is that you are using Carley, whose production consistency is about as consistent as a politician.

I have HOP reflectors that aren't as heavy as my MOP's from the last group buy, so though I hope that there is a better option, I have my doubts about Carleys ability to consistently produce the same quality.

That is not under anyone's control here, though!

Bill