Inova T4 -- Charger LED color and more?

Raccoon

Enlightened
I'm wondering if there are two different models or packagings of the Inova T4 light. The charger cradle has an LED charging indicator, and I'm finding them with red and blue leds on various websites.

For example:

Red LED. http://www.pocketlights.com/t4.asp
Blue LED. http://www.flashlightsunlimited.com/inovat4.htm

I'm also wondering if there are any other things to know about this light. Inova claims the LED is 4 watts, but Luxeons only come in 1s, 3s, and 5s. Is this an "overclocked" 3 watt luxeon?

Do the batteries suffer from being under constant trickle charge in the grab-n-go cradle? What kind of life do these lithiums have?

FYI. The site LAPoliceGear sells these for $75. Is there any way to determine the charger LED color short of calling them up?

Regards.

Edit: As of 22 Dec 05, the LAPG has raised the price from $75 to $88.

Edit: As of 01 Jan 06, the LAPG has raised the price from $88 to $100.

Last edited:

jtice

Flashaholic
We think its a 3W, driven to about 4W.

There is no trickle charge really,
its a lithium setup, they hold charge very very well,
so it charges up, and then quits.
I have one in my truck, its always been ready to go when I need it.
The lithium should last years, and hold a charge for months.

Thats interesting, that pocket lights one is an old one I think,
I havent seen any like that, the light is different also, you will notice the one with the blue led has a stainless steel bezel. And square knurling.

madecov

Flashlight Enthusiast
Mine is the same as the stainless bezel and has a blue LED on the charger.

The PDF on the Inova web site shows the same version. The entire "T" series has the same knurling and the stainless bezel.

I'm not sure the other photo is actually the T4. maybe they used a knock off in the photo.

BTW, I like the T4 a lot. I think it pretty well blows away the Streamlight stinger.

zespectre

Flashlight Enthusiast
I saw one T4 like the first picture (as a pre-release model) but everything I've seen since had the blue led and the stainless bezel ring. In point of fact if you could get that first one (all black, different checking, and red led on charger) I'd keep it as a shelf queen 'cause it might actually be worth something later!

Raccoon

Enlightened
All very interesting. Thanks!

As much as I'd like to get the pocketlights version with diamond knurling, all black, and red charger LED... it's not worth the extra $30 to me.

Though, if I DO buy the Inova T4, it's immediately getting a charger cradle LEDectomy-- I can't stand blue LEDs!

TorchMan

Enlightened
I can't comment on the charger having red indicators. I can tell you that mine is blue when charging, and goes green when full. From reading here and reviews, I would think some are blue and then the light goes out when fully charged?

Solstice

Flashlight Enthusiast
Yep, the one I just got has a blue LED that goes out when the light is charged. I think I'd like the LED to turn green instead though, since its also out if the light isn't making good contact- green would asure that it is full and is making contact; you wouldn't have to check on the contact issue.

dano

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have one of the first T4's and haven't used it in a while. After charging it up (my charger goes from a bluish/purplish LED then top the LED off for fully charged indication), I brought it to work.

It's a good light. If someone can overcome the LED washout effect, it would probably be a Stinger killer (as the Stinger is the only comparable light in terms of size and output).

--dan

zespectre

Flashlight Enthusiast
Just bought two (one for me, one as a present to a friend) both of them glow blue while charging and change to a dim green when fully charged.

jdhunter

Newly Enlightened
They changed the design of the charger.
old: blue when charging, then goes off.
new: blue when charging, then turns green.

That way you can be sure that the flashlight is engaged on the contacts and the power to the charger is on.

Raccoon

Enlightened
Thank you Hunter. I was hoping for a response like that one, as I've heard a lot about the charger being blue and going out when it's done, making it unclear if it's plugged in or not.

However, pictures do show even an earlier design where the LED was red. I guess then, there must be at least 3 models of this light floating around.

AlienRFX

Newly Enlightened
Any idea if anyone is making mods for this light yet? I personally would like a deeper bezel ring kinda like what is found on surefires, and a lanyard hole in the tailcap. Then I think the light would be pretty much perfect for it's intended use, maybe pocket clip too.:rock: