Windshield Wipers

yuandrew

Flashlight Enthusiast
What kind of windshield wipers would you members recommend or use?

I took our Corolla in for a brake job and oil change Monday and my mechanic told me that the wipers needed replaceing (he pointed out to me that one of the blades had snapped).

I just bought some Bosch Microedge Excels; haven't put them on yet but I heard they are good.

geepondy

Flashlight Enthusiast
I posted the same thread about a year ago and the Bosch's got several good recommendations but I found the longevity was not very good.

Saaby

Flashaholic
We've used Bosch in the past, and didn't find them all that excellent after they'd been on only a short amount of time. Switched to cheap Amco? a year ago for the 2 older cars and they've worked just fine. Sure you have to replace them every 6 months, but they're pretty good up until then.

Use Saab OEM blades on the Saab. They're about $20 a set online (Including headlight washer blades) and last at least a year before they start to get bad. I think they're Valeo.

pedalinbob

Flashlight Enthusiast
My wipers wear out quickly due to pitted glass.

I have tried Bosch, Triple-edge, Trico, Anco, etc.

I just stick with the Anco's. They seem to wipe well for a while, and are a reasonable cost. I replace them once or twice a year.

Bob

SIM37

Newly Enlightened
sillicon wipers

Surf the net for them, they outperform any rubber ones and last much longer

yuandrew

Flashlight Enthusiast
Installed them this morning, did the "garden hose" and windshield sprayer test. Works great.

I did find out I have a bad windshield sprayer that is aimed so poorly, it shoots over the car missing the windshield and delivers a surprising ammount of water to anyone behind the car. I'll have to fix that soon or I could use it as a tailgater repellant :naughty:

I don't think I'll have to use them a lot, remember it dosen't rain often in California.

SIM37

Newly Enlightened
Might be of some interest to you guys here..

(Removed hot linked pic...)

Last edited by a moderator:

James S

Flashlight Enthusiast
if you dont like changing them get the silicone ones. If you dont care about changing them then buy cheap ones and rain-x your windshield. I am a HUGE rain-x fan. You still have to change the cheap wipers every 6 months, but they actually work then ;) I'm up for new wipers myself and think I'll pick up the silicon ones AND re-rain-x the windshield. I should be able to dodge individual raindrops...

cheapo

Flashlight Enthusiast
I went to autozone and got some great ones.... they're called ANCO... cheaper than Bosch, and they work like a charm. Not to mention, they look good. No water lines what so ever.

-David

Big_Ed

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'm a big Rain-X fan too. Many times when it's raining I don't even have to use my wipers at all, especially when it's raining really hard. But before I used Rain-X, I never had to change my wiper blades twice a year. I've used mainly Anco blades, and at most have changed them once a year, sometimes less often than that.

zespectre

Flashlight Enthusiast
Handy tip, rain-X also makes it easier to get ice of your windows. If it has been applied fairly recently (say within a couple of weeks) I've had an entire windshield worth of ice just break loose and slide off in one big hunk!

yuandrew

Flashlight Enthusiast
Funny, it started raining today. Ok, it's a coincidence but we need the rain. Of course, if it rains in the winter around this time, it means we get snow in the mountains

geepondy

Flashlight Enthusiast
Just curious if anybody has tried the Rain-X brand "Latitude" windshield wipers. I've seen them advertised quite a bit lately. Of course they claim to be superior to the competition, in this case amongst other things, by having a "contoured" design..

Wyeast

Enlightened
Here's a handy trick. If you have silicone wiper blades, eventually enough of the silicone impregnates itself onto your windshield that it acts like it has Rain-X on it. Pretty sweet. ;)

And yeah, count my vote for silicones. Whether Triple-Edge or PIAAs, lasts a long time and doesn't give you the chatters every few months. Well worth it. :D

bfg9000

Flashlight Enthusiast
I use cheap Anco refills because I care about wipe quality from living in a seriously rainy climate next to a rainforest. Nothing beats frequent replacements with conventional rubber refills.

If you are too lazy to change them and care only about durability in the California sun then silicone wipers may work fine for you, but be aware that silicone wipers like the Tripledge were the only ones tested by Consumer Reports to actually work worse even when new than the old used wipers that came on their test vehicles' windshields. The lifetime warranties are pure BS too because the shipping and handling fees cost more than the wipers are worth.

The Rain-X Latitude blades are a copy of the Bosch Icon, Michelin Optimum and Valeo 900 (the original). These stylish low-profile "all season" type blades can indeed replace winter (snow) blades but don't seem to follow highly curved windshields as well as conventional ones. And no refills can fit in those--you have to chuck the blades each time.

Wyeast

Enlightened
Huh, even TripleEdge doesn't seem to be worse than used blades for me, and I get plenty of rain in Orygone. ;) But of course YMMV.

coontai

Newly Enlightened
Has anyone used the new Trico NeoForm? I have had good luck with the regular Tricos with teflon.