• You must be a Supporting Member to participate in the Candle Power Forums Marketplace.

You can become a Supporting Member.

Matterhorn 3 led HO vs. Single Ultra

Sarius

Newly Enlightened
Has anyone done a runtime graph comparing these two? It would be interesting to see the trade-offs between lower drive with more leds vs. higher with one, both in terms of brightness/time and total runtimes.

Thanks

joema

Flashlight Enthusiast
The only independent numbers I've seen are from Flashlightreviews.com, which tested Ultra versions of the 3 and 1 LED versions.

Peak says the HO 3 LED version runs 50% longer than the Ultra version. In theory you could take Flashlightreviews run time for the Ultra 3 LED version and multiply by 150% to approximate the true run time (to 50% output) for the HO 3 LED version.

That would produce:
HO 3 LED Matterhorn extrapolated run time to 50%: 67.5 min

as compared to:

Ultra 1 LED Matterhorn actual tested run time to 50%: 3 hr

Of course if anybody actually owns both lights and could do a run time test that would be the best indication.

Sarius

Newly Enlightened
Hi,

Thanks, I was already familar with Doug's test. I'm much more interested in the shape of the curves than the total runtime, which as you point out, is pretty easy to guesstimate. In particular, I'm curious how long the 3 led HO remains brighter than the single U- I mean, figuring out the 50% point isn't as helpful if you're not sure how 100% compares on the same scales. The ratings on the Peak site are about 43 cp for the 1U vs. about 73 cp for the 3HO.

In particular, the 3U is sucking on the batteries really hard, reaching 50% in 45 min, while the single U has a much flatter curve, reaching the same point in 3 hours, as you indicated. Therefore, the shape of the curve is obviously a function of the drain, and not a simple relationship. That is, it's reasonable to think that the 3HO might run somewhat longer than half again as long as the 3U to reach the 50% point, while remaining brighter than the 1U for a significant length of time with less wear and tear on the leds-

At the moment, it seems that the 3U will remain brighter than the 1U for about an hour, then remain about at the same output for another 5 hours or so, then the 1U pulls ahead, I'm curious how the 3HO compares with this.

Without a direct compare there isn't really a way to know how these all compare to each other when trying to pick the 'bang for the buck' camp amoug the four versions.

JohnK

Flashlight Enthusiast
I only have the 3LED Snow Hi-Power Peak, and used it for several hours at the beach a bit ago. I did not notice any dimming, but changed batteries when I came home, as I am anal about having a "full load" if I need it.

The Hi-Power is a quantum leap over the single LED Infinity Ultras, and Arcs, though I have NOT tried the newer Arcs, with a higher output nichia.

The throw, and absolute white beam of the "snow" Peak sold me COMPLETELY.

When I became interested in this stuff a few years ago, I was somewhat nonplussed about the splotchy, multi-colored beams of the nichias. I could not believe anyone LIKED the beams.

Don't have to put up with it anymore.