Which BIN are T3 Luxeons typically from?

cratz2

Flashlight Enthusiast
Really hard to say since color shifts a bit with voltage and they aren't direct drive. I used to have a X03 which I considered to be very white... I would guess a X0 bin. The T3 I currently have for sale makes my TW0J-modded Q3 look slightly greenish and therefore the T3 looks slightly violet-ish but not quite as violet as my RYAK Dorcy. My guess is RY0K.

dim

Enlightened
Everyone has a different perception and taste as to what tint he/she perceives and prefers. For lower powered flashlights, likely to be used in close quarters, usually indoors, I prefer a cooler color because I perceive it to highlight the contrast between objects. For flashlights of greater power, say, more than 30 lumens, particularly those with throw, such as the T3, and likely to be used outdoors, I think that a warmer toned luxeon highlights colors more effectively - particularly the earth-tones that one would encounter outdoors, greens, reds, browns, yellows etc... I would think that the "slightly yellowish" tint of your T3 would suit it well.

dim

flash

Newly Enlightened
cratz2 said:
Really hard to say since color shifts a bit with voltage and they aren't direct drive. I used to have a X03 which I considered to be very white... I would guess a X0 bin. The T3 I currently have for sale makes my TW0J-modded Q3 look slightly greenish and therefore the T3 looks slightly violet-ish but not quite as violet as my RYAK Dorcy. My guess is RY0K.

RY0K?? Isn't it supposed to be a 3 watt luxeon?

BTW, does anyone know what luxeon is in the T4? (I've got one of those on the way)

*Retired*
Just to give you an idea of Luxeon colors, here is a shot of a few:

luxbin5.jpg

Most folks here on cpf shoot LED lights with the beam saturated, it makes them look brighter, and you loose the perception of color. This one was just shot such that the beams did not saturate the camera.

Personally I like WO and XO. XO being the colder more blue type white.

As we age, the gel in your eyes actually starts to yellow. This causes a source that at the age of 18, looks like 5500K white, to appear as 4000K at the age of 40.

So if you are older, probably go for the XO.

More:
luxcont.jpg

dg

Newly Enlightened
Won't different digital cameras give different colour shifts to those beam pics? So could some shades be attenuated and others enhanced?

The problem with the T3 is that there may be some chromatic aberrations from the lens.

Mine shows varing shades of yellow and some blue in the rings