How does the XM-3 compare?

nerdgineer

Flashlight Enthusiast
I like mine a lot. It's the light I normally pick up if I need a light beyond my EDCs for something. It's pretty bright, white, reliable (good tactical switch), has a good, wide hotspot and lots of spill, runs about 2.5 hrs on 2000 mah nimh's (about 1.5 hrs on alkalines, I'm told). It put's out more light than my Q3 (mostly in the form of a wider hotspot) and runs for basically no cost on nimhs. Other people have claimed their Q3's are brighter (Luxeon lottery?).

It is easy to disassemble if you want to change something, and has been perfectly reliable so far. It has very thick walls which some don't like because of their weight and others like for their apparent strength.

Criticisms have been that it doesn't drive the LED at a full 3W (most 3 W'ers don't) and has adequate but not bulletproof heat sinking. If you wanted to drive the LED harder, you might want to upgrade the heatsinking.

Some other 2AA lights look comparable, although I don't have any of them. Emilion's 3W 2AA light runs shorter but may be brighter, and is certainly cheaper. This Nuwai is only a 1 W 2AA, but the 1xCR123 version I have puts out a nice beam and it's a deal at $21.50. Tactical clicky too.

I think you can't go wrong with the XM3.

lrp

Flashlight Enthusiast
I also like my XM-3! It is made like a tank and has really good runtime with any battery and the beam is very good too. I plan on putting a glass lens on mine. Overall it is one nice light!

balazer

Enlightened
Smartfire 3W 2AA has roughly the same battery life - 2.5 hours on NiMH. It's reportedly brighter.

GarageBoy

Flashlight Enthusiast
Gosh, I miss mine, I think I screwed up the tail cap, when I did a current draw test by shorting out the LED

balazer

Enlightened
Smartfire regulated? I don't know. It really requires NiMH cells for as much current as it draws. The output curve is quite flat with NiMH cells.

TORCH_BOY

Flashlight Enthusiast
I haven't yet compared it with the SL Luxeon Jr,
Have compared it against my other 2 AA lights and
found it to be just as bright maybe a tab brighter,
I have had mine for a while now and have not had
any problems with it,
I like XM-3 a lot as it is robust
runs on cheap AA's even NIMH cells,

Grummond

Newly Enlightened
Well as far as 2aa powered lights go I have the XM-3, SL and Smartfire next to me so I have posted a pic for size comparison.
2aa.jpg

Smartfire / SL Juxeon Junior / XM-3

Which one to get? Well they are all nice lights and I would recommend any one of them.
I guess if I could only keep one then I would choose the Smartfire, but then again the XM-3 is built like a tank (as others have said) and has a nicer switch.
The Smartfire is definitely the brightest of the three with both beam intensity and overall output.
I run all the lights with Sanyo 2300 Ni-mh.
I once turned them all on with fresh batteries and as far as I can remember the XM-3 had the longest runtime followed by the SL and the Smartfire came in close behind and seemed to have a reasonably flat runtime curve suggesting it does indeed have regulation of some sorts.
Personally I find for close work the SL is nice to use as the beam is more dispersed due to the optics for outdoor use the Smartfire wins hands down has good side spill and a narrow hotspot which throws further than any other 2aa Luxeon I know of to date.

You ask about comparison with the Q3. Well quality wise I would IMO say they are of similar quality but the XM-3 is more rugged. Both have similar out put.
The Q3 is of course a lot smaller and if you use a primary CR123 cell will be a lot more expensive to use.

If you are looking for something to pop in your pocket that will provide good light when needed get the Q3 if you are needing a light that is going to see a lot of use and you don't mind the size then the XM-3 or Smartfire would be a good choice.
The XM-3 would be a nice light to use if you are wearing gloves or have cold hands as the switch protrudes (sometimes having a small light is not always desirable depending on your circumstances).

Just a thought but if you want to combine the size of the Q3 with the cheap to use batteries of the XM-3 take a long hard look at the Fenix!
You could use RCR batteries of course with a nano charger for the Q3 but in a pinch the Fenix runs fine on cheap alkalines so if your rechargeables run flat and you are away from home… Hmmm I just realised I am probably not helping much, there are so many options.
thinking.gif

I should have probably started my post by asking what you planed to use the light for.

As for comparing the above lights with the Surefire G2, the G2 is way brighter with a runtime of 1 hour on the P60 bulb, downside is it's using 2 CR123 lithium batteries and is a lot more expensive to run.
Oh well, probably been of no help what so ever and I should be in bed now but good luck with what ever you decide.
Simon.

sleepy.gif

Last edited:

zapper

Enlightened
I have to agree completely with everything above. The edge going to the Smartfire 2AA in throw/overall light and definitely price. It's also a little lighter and easier to carry. XM-3 would be easier to modify. AA winner would be the ProPoly 4AA Luxeon. It's definitely bulkier but hands down spanking a thrower like a SF 6P or Scorpion but outlasts everything by running no less than 3.5 hrs on regular alks and over 6 hrs on lithiums. On sale at fox intl for $22.95. I probably added to the confusion as well. One more thing to chew on, for form factors on the small side, the Fenix would be the way to go.

LightObsession

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thanks for the comarisons of XM-3 to the Streamlight Jr. Lux and the Smartfire 3w 2AA. I've been looking for more information on the Smartfire 2AA that have actually used the light. I think I'll be buying one in the very near future.

Led_Blind

Enlightened
The XM3 is tough.
Mine is used in the car and was once left on the roof only to go flying off on the first corner and roll into a gutter. There was a breif moment of panic but seing it still shining there in the gutter :) :) Now i know it can bounce!